Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Moore County, NC (Read 10136 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Moore County, NC
May 23rd, 2017 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
A rockhound friend invited me to a very interesting quartz crystal prospect this past weekend. Eric my rockhound friend has exclusive access to his friends property which hosts these crystals. The quartz outcrops as veins and scattered quartz all over the surface at the pinnacle of the property. These quartz crystals seem to be often included with brown to dark green chlorite. Some crystals are completely clear.

z478.JPG ( 848 KB | 142 Downloads )
z478.JPG
z480.JPG ( 950 KB | 160 Downloads )
z480.JPG
z479.JPG ( 900 KB | 138 Downloads )
z479.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Moore County, NC
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Eric, investigating the quartz he smashed to check for crystalline vugs.

z487.JPG ( 994 KB | 150 Downloads )
z487.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
As I dug and encountered crystals, they did not appear to come out in what I considered distinct pockets. There was weathering and much clay and dirt between each of the quartz rocks or small boulders I found -- and this indicated that the quartz veins were disseminated as a result of weathering. I believe that going deeper should reveal tighter veins of quartz with more pristine crystals.  Wink

Below is a few of my finds.

z483.JPG ( 483 KB | 142 Downloads )
z483.JPG
z484.JPG ( 519 KB | 144 Downloads )
z484.JPG
z485.JPG ( 482 KB | 156 Downloads )
z485.JPG
z488.JPG ( 703 KB | 149 Downloads )
z488.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2017 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Nice.  Keep digging!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Very nice interesting looking spot. Keep digging! Smiley

IP Logged

Eric Flintstone
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I think it is time to show the transformation  of the dig site now and what has been found.  Also as you and Joe are teaching me the ends and outs of hounding and me doing a lot of reading.  I am still trying to wrap my head around what "host" rock assisted in making the quartz veins we are seeing.  Since now the quartz is surrounded by mud alone.  I have read and kind of understand about the cycles of stone.  I won't go any further here because it is kind of off topic for this thread .

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
IS hard to figure out, Eric!
You are on the right track. The "illite" is a good example.
Here all this time I thought you were supposed to learn to "read the dirt" to find the rocks, now you're telling me I need to "read about the dirt" too! It never ends. Smiley
Here's some interesting reading for you if you haven't found this all ready;
https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1072d/report.pdf

It's a little old but a good report with lots of good info. The first page is good and then on the third or fourth page is the section
"Genesis of Quartz Crystals". The Bedrock and Quartz Veins and Weathering of Bedrock sections will help alot in trying to answer some of your questions.
While you are reading those sections, for comparison to the "Roost", those hard different colored layers we were calling "mudstone" is the host rock you are looking for now in the form of "Saprolite" mentioned in the report.

I'm really glad to see you trying to figure out all that geology. When you do you can let me in on it. Wink
Eric, I won't be out this weekend, but am planning on being there the next. I want to continue my corner some but feel free to dig there in the meantime. There are a lot of good crystals in the top 2-3 feet right there.
Have Fun!

IP Logged

Eric Flintstone
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe,  I always look forward to seeing you guys.  I can't wait to get into reading the link you posted.  Your dig corner is your corner. Lol.  Me and Regina had some luck today where she likes to dig.  If you can remember.  There is a Quartz vein on the right side just before the mud hole .  Regina had been digging around there for several days.  Anyway,  I gave her a hand this afternoon .  I pulled out the ole handy crowbar and pulled out a pretty large piece of Quartz.  Right behind the void of the Quartz I found a pocket!  Pulled out around 5 or 6 good size crystals around 3 1/2 inches long. As most of the good sized crystals.  They are lightly coated with chlorite .  It was getting dark when I found the pocket so I am not sure if I got them all.  I will go back tomorrow to make sure.   I will be sure to post pictures tomorrow .  For the first time since I have been digging and learning from you guys.  It all seemed to click with what y'all have taught me.  I have no doubt that this spot will continue to entertain all of us for quit some time!  Of course, Regina is not going to be completely satisfied till she finds some purple.  I think I may just take a crystal and paint and plant it so she can find it lol.

IP Logged

jgards86

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I knew that spot Regina was digging was a hot spot!! Did you plow up the other spot?? Interested in seeing what's found over there. Can't wait to see more stuff come out. Thanks again Eric!

IP Logged

Eric Flintstone
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Pics.

image_087.jpeg ( 3750 KB | 151 Downloads )
image_087.jpeg
image_088.jpeg ( 3267 KB | 172 Downloads )
image_088.jpeg
image_089.jpeg ( 3040 KB | 148 Downloads )
image_089.jpeg
image_090.jpeg ( 2876 KB | 156 Downloads )
image_090.jpeg
image_091.jpeg ( 2794 KB | 163 Downloads )
image_091.jpeg
image_092.jpeg ( 2707 KB | 161 Downloads )
image_092.jpeg

IP Logged

Eric Flintstone
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Hey Josh, no haven't broke ground yet.  Kind of waiting to see when you guys will be back.  I would like to do it close to that time so all you guys can go thru fresh ground and be equitable to all of you.  Just send me an instant message with your plans.

I am also going to talk to bob tomorrow and see if maybe he can bring his front end loader / backhoe to move those dirt piles out a bit to the tree line.  There will not be a fee cause he is just a neighbor and friend.  His machine is just a small farm tractor.  I hope it will be able to do the Job.  I will also see if he can trench out a bit.  Toward where Scott parks his vehicle.  It will all depend if the tractor is strong enough to do it

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Looks like you found a little pocket there, Eric! Cool

IP Logged

jgards86

RockHoundLounger

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Sounds great!!! Those crystals are sweet as well! Remember to look for that big chunky quartz vein. That's were the best ones are going to hang out and possibly some clusters! Depending on the rising temperatures and summer activities  Cool it may be a bit before we can all plan on being there. That's ideal also to let some rain drench those tailings so mother nature can reveal what's under that dirt. Some of my best specimens have come from tailings Cheesy keep working that area Regina it looks very promising.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Great to see new sites explored!

IP Logged

Eric Flintstone
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Here is a little somethin new found near the dig site.

image_093.jpeg ( 280 KB | 156 Downloads )
image_093.jpeg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint