Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best Mines in Western North Carolina? (Read 1268 times)
BerylliumWilliam
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Best Mines in Western North Carolina?
Jun 7th, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I just got back into rockhounding this year and I've been going to the Ray mine, Crabtree, Hiddenite and some small mica mine in Montreat (nothing really there...I was told later by someone who knows the history of the place and he said the mine was dynamited while back to collapse the cave). I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other places I can go that you don't have to pay so I know for sure they are not salted. Or if there are some others that you have to pay and you know aren't salted, I'm interested in those as well.

I have heard of the Redmond mine, but I don't know much about it and I can't figure out how to get there. So if anyone knows, I'm all ears!

I'm most interested in mines that are less known, but still might have something interesting!

IP Logged

BerylliumWilliam
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Best Mines in Western North Carolina?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Nothing?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Well, BW, that ain't my turf, but there aren't a whole lot of "mines" open to the public.
The Ray is going to be your best no-pay playground, as you know.
Then there's the Crabtree, as you know.
Two ruby mines where you are actually mining native material, The Cherokee, and one of the Mason Mines down by Franklin, and there's the Mason Farm Staurolite Mine if you're in the neighborhood.
There are a couple of good books on old mines and areas you may be able to prospect at, but things and owners change, so some of those may now be off limits.
A member on this board, Buckshot, has land up there that he allows people to rockhound on for a fee. Might be your best bet! I have not been so you will have to contact him by PM on this board.
Then there's Hiddenite, and then you're going to Virginia for kyanite or amethyst or South Carolina, Diamond Hill, for quartz crystals and maybe amethyst.
Other than that there's a lot of research and hiking to do.
I'd have to guess you are going to be getting to know the Ray pretty well.
Have fun with the hunt!

IP Logged

BerylliumWilliam
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe!

Ya, I've been enjoying my time at the Ray! And I was thinking about checking out the little Ray mine which is about a half mile off the trail from the Ray. And I met someone at the Ray who told be to check our the Balsam mine (not too far from the Ray). Ever been to either of those?
I'll have to check out the place in Franklin since I have family near there!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint