Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NC Beryl Localities (Read 1714 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

NC Beryl Localities
Jun 17th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
For those interested:

Retirement has given me an opportunity to do a little research on North Carolina's mineral history.  The current topic I've been working on for nearly a year is a compilation and history of Beryl localities in NC.  As several people on this board know, Beryl is my favorite mineral, and I have amassed a nice collection over the years.  I love researching the internet, old publications, and mineral maps to get an historical perspective of the mineral's occurrence in NC.

I currently have a total of 269 beryl records from 34 NC counties, and 102 references.  The 269 records will be scrutinized further as to combine records where needed, so the total records will be less.  I've studied maps and used distances and location descriptions reported in books, journals, reports, etc. to be as accurate as possible in locating the old mines and prospects.  I've been able to create a few locality maps (Burke Co., for instance) with mine and prospect locations.

I would like to eventually published this information and make it as complete and accurate as I can.  At some point I may ask people to send records to add to the report.  I still have much research to do before I can start combining records.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: NC Beryl Localities
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you are after it in earnest now, Dennis. Glad to hear it!
All the best and thanks for the update.
Joe

IP Logged

BerylliumWilliam
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Beryl is my favorite too!
I'm interested in where these beryl locations are!

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I can offer editing and proofreading if you want a second set of eyes to review your manuscript before publishing.  (I've been a writer and editor for much of my career.)

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tim,

I'll probably take you up on the offer to edit it.  The rate I'm going on the report now, it may take another 2 years before it's ready for proofing.  I'm still in the historical and locality accuracy phase.  Plotting the records on topographic or county maps may not be completed before I reach my death bed.
Forget the photos!!   Wink

Dennis

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Dennis - Timing will work well for me.  I should be retired and at most working a "retirement job" (less demanding than what I do now) within 2 years.  Cheers, -- Tim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint