Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hello from Ohio :) (Read 2918 times)
Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

Hello from Ohio :)
Jul 4th, 2017 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Hello everyone Smiley I'm here because I've been enthralled with minerals for over a decade. I'm not real good with intros, but I can tell one thing: it mystifies me that some find minerals laying right in their backyards, I don't think minerals are quite that ample here. Granted, I know about the flint place, that's cool, and I know you can sift for gold and minerals in some of the state parks, but I don't think that you'll come in from mowing "honey, I busted the mower deck on another geode".

Perhaps that's a good thing for me, though. I can only imagine the "hi, honey" I'd sheepishly stammer as my wife came home to the giant crater that used to be our backyard; the baby playing next to me with his little beach shovel, the dog looking around like "I can still poo here, right?" That right there's a one-way ticket to sleeping on the couch in the living room.

Anyway, hello everyone Smiley

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Hello from Ohio :)
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Good stuff, Gilbey! Welcome ABoard! Smiley
Ya'kno, sometimes there's something in the "backyard" and sometimes there isn't.
Today for instance; dug for 2 hours didn't find anything, then walked a couple new sites for another 3 hours, (in the hot sun I might add), and didn't find anything but an old petrified plastic squirrels head and the broken basal portion of a projectile point.
You know how it goes. Cool

IP Logged

Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Hi Joe Smiley I can't complain, because I do find flint in my backyard. Once, I honestly found a plastic hand with it's middle finger extended buried in my backyard. I thought "wow, that's kind of a blatant sign!" Smiley

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the lounge

IP Logged

Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tim, happy to be here.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
You likely know about Nethers Farm on Flint Ridge and if not I posted an account in the Field Trips section of the Lounge.  I read up on prospects of central, southern and southwestern Ohio when I lived in Dayton (twice) or visited my in-laws in southern Ohio, but I followed up only on Flint Ridge.  If I had time, these are the mental notes I'd pursue:  Explore the road cuts in Adams County and look for signs of the probable impact crater near Serpent Mound and the oddball mineralization that occurred (Adams County has traces of more minerals than any other place in Ohio, iirc).  Explore the Paint Creek area of Ross County just to see the giant concretions in situ.  Look for fossil trilobites at Caesar Creek Lake.  Look in the creeks around Athens for petrified wood.  Look for septaria that supposedly tumble out of some of the cliff sides facing the Ohio River.  And just because the topography looks interesting, explore the "caves" area about halfway between Chillicothe and Jackson.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Ohio has some really nice minerals, depending on what part you are in...selenite, really pretty pyrite nodules..
Makohon would could point you in the right direction if he were around. I think his tongue is frozen to a fluorite cube way up in the frozen North.
I  got some really nice stuff in trade from him so I will look at the notes for locations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint