Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another newbie (Read 2159 times)
Dude

RockHoundLounger

Another newbie
Jul 5th, 2017 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Hello all

I am slightly daunted by this site but very excited to be here.

I love crystals/minerals and I do collect them, I'd love to find more out about the background stuff now, find out how they came to be, where they are found etc.

I would love to go to a mine one day and if I could just collect one myself that would be amazing so I would love to find out about how people go about things like that.

I also have a few questions too, such as people's views on kogolong. I have a tiny sample and I quite like it but have seen conflicting information on what it is. I was told it's volcanic flint.. anyway I'll have a scout around first see what I can find here before ask things that may have been asked before.

See you around

IP Logged

Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

Re: Another newbie
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I don't know  kogolong, I do know cacholong, which is a porous type of opal

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I don't think it's the same, I don't have normal flint to compare to but I have novaculite which I believe is also a flint? But this one is white. They are both shiny and don't seem porous to me though I guess they could be polished which would hide something like that? Ok I have no idea lol. My kogolong is only tiny so can't investigate too much. But it does seem similar to novaculite to me but then I know nothing about all the technical stuff

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the lounge,  Dude.

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Thank you Tim Smiley

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Yes, Welcome to the Board, Dude!
Thanks for the pictures you added to Natures Gifts. I love the twisted tree, but I guess that's just twisted me. Wink

Your first question is a tough one. I had to look it up and apparently there could be more than one answer.
I agree with The Gilbey, apparently the older name for kogolong is cachalong or cacholong, and was most commonly common non-precious opal.
Names used for marketing stones can be confusing to someone trying to learn what they are, and I believe kogolong and cachalong are both marketing names.
A pure white stone would be easy to use substitutes, and create synthetically.
I'm not sure where the "volcanic" description comes from as opal, flint,chalcedony or agate, novaculite, and howlite are all sedimentary rocks.
The general consensus seems to be that kogolong is common opal, first choice, or chalcedony, second choice.

Oh yes, I did read one reference that said the kogolong could be a very rare type of "organic" opal called Tabasheer opal sometimes called Pearl Opal. But I don't know how you would be able to tell by looking at it.

Hope this helps some.
Joe

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Hi Joe

Well I'm glad twisted you liked the twisted tree haha. I'm a little crazy for trees myself.

Aww I was hoping kogolong was going to be a thing- partly because I like it and partly because I think the name is cool. I'll have to try some common opal and see if it seems the same.

Thank you so much for looking into it for me. I did try myself but I just got all confused.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Well Dude, I just checked Mindat and I'd say The Gilbey is the most correct of all.
Check out this link; https://www.mindat.org/min-8001.html

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Ooh Sad I'm looking at the top picture and I'm kind of inclined to say you are indeed correct Sad

Thank you so much for all your time, much appreciated... and thanks for bursting my bubble lol.

Oh well I can scratch kogolong off my wish list! Might replace it with common opal though, I do like opals it seems, I have some from mt shasta? Bacon opal and the lovely pink Andean... oh and an amazing green and black Andean tumble... I never actually realised how much I like opal!

Thank you so much Joe  Smiley

IP Logged

Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Lol, I personally don't know what I'd do without mindat, Joe Smiley That and a few books, but I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about those, as the last site I was on didn't allow references to books or other websites. And to Dude, mindat is a priceless resource, especially for those new to minerals. New names are being invented as marketing tools all the time. Granted, that site might kind of be a little bit of a bubble-buster for you. But in the 80s, G.I. Joe said...something, like "knowledge is power" or "Knowing is half the battle" or something like that.

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Guilby lol thank you.. I actually welcome bubble bursting. I have seen the site before searching for crystals but I was put off by the fact most of it over my head- formulas for minerals! I probably need to start at the beginning really go from there.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Agreed,The Gilbey, Mindat is a precious resource.
Always the best place to start with all your mineral questions.
But surfing's fun too. Smiley
That organic Tabasheer Opal which forms in the damaged nodes of bamboo was pretty interesting to stumble across. Cool

IP Logged

Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:53am
Print Post  
I can tell you something else, Dude; never be afraid to ask questions. Well, that goes for everything, but especially minerals. I have a quick story.

When I first started out, I was at a sale. An elderly gentleman opened up his basement to the public. Now this guy had every mineral you could imagine, tools that I could only guess the application of, charts on his wall that might as well have been in a foreign language. I went up to him and said "Sir, you have to be like the Yoda of the gem world, a true master." You know what he said to me? "Son, I am 92 years old. If there is one thing I've learned, it's that there is no true 'master' of anything, that is a term created to inflate the ego. In 92 years, I have never once stopped learning. If I lived another 92 years, I would still consider myself a student of gemology for each of those 92 years. New minerals are discovered, minerals that were never classified before as "gems" are now on the market as such, etc."

I've been doing this for about a decade now, and I still find myself learning. I've learnt from here in the short time I've been here. For instance, the stuff I've considered to be "flint" for over 30 years is actually chert. So, Dude, this might be a road you're "new" to, but according to the words of a wise old dude I talked to, ALL of us fit in the "student" category.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Ooh that sounds awesome Joe I looked it up. Probably pretty hard to come by from the looks.

And thank you Guilby. he sounds an awesome dude Smiley I'll be asking plenty of questions I can guarantee it lol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint