Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A few recent finds I can't figure out... (Read 2418 times)
Joe Sal
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

A few recent finds I can't figure out...
Jul 6th, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Would appreciate some help on these if anyone has some time. I've been studying mineral books and learning a bit. Unfortunately, not all minerals look as perfect as they do in books!  All of these were found in NC for context.

Pic 1 has small white botryoidal portions
Pic 2 you can see small green inclusions in the quartz
Pic 3 I found at a park and think it was likely transferred there through other rock used for walkways. I've hunted a bit in arizona so I know to keep my eyes open for blue and green minerals. However this isn't like chrysocolla or malachite. I'm not sure if there is a small copper inclusion causing the blueish green coloring..

Appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

20170706_210235.jpg ( 2717 KB | 126 Downloads )
20170706_210235.jpg
20170706_210529.jpg ( 2313 KB | 115 Downloads )
20170706_210529.jpg
20170706_212334.jpg ( 1470 KB | 117 Downloads )
20170706_212334.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: A few recent finds I can't figure out...
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Hey Joe, Welcome to the Board!
I'll make a quick stab at it here. Looks like you have a good eye. Smiley

Piece 1. Chalcedony will form a nice botryoidal layer in rocks around here sometimes, but I think this is more layers of decomposition mixed with iron oxides. Think about the botryoidal hematite on a smaller more weathered scale. Look at the "Two Oddballs" post about 5 below this one for a comparison.
Piece 2 and 3, About all the rock in NC is morphed to some extent or another and that process will turn a lot of minerals green. Like the Unakite of NC and VA has been "epidotized". And quartzites can be altered to Aventurine. Read up a little on the formation of Unakite and Aventurine, or quartzite, for more info, but I'm not sure if either process applies to the green pieces you have found or not.

Keep on huntin'!

IP Logged

Joe Sal
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
JoeM, thanks for the quick response. I was pretty sure the first pic was chalcedony but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing another mineral I wasn't better informed on. After reading what you posted about unakite, pic 2 makes sense. Although hard to see, those green inclusions are elongated and the signature dark green epidotal color with striations. I wasn't aware of the VA and NC variations.  I'm going back tomorrow to do some additional hunting. Within some of the voids between the quartz crystals is the typical pink feldspar matrix associated with unakite. Since those pieces were exposed to the elements, i'm hoping I can dig up some better specimens tomorrow, better intact. I reviewed some pictures of adventurine and the color and composition were spot on. Was lucky enough to be at a park walking with my kids and spotted it. Wish I knew where it originally came from. Thank you again! If I come across any solid finds tomorrow i'll share.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Good start! I always start with figuring that park walkway rocks likely come from the nearest quarries, because local governments won't spend big for anything transported in from far away.  Near me in Chester, VA, the Dale Quarry produces pink feldspar, smoky quartz, mica and other minerals, and has on occasion produced more "pegmatized" rock and even beryl.  So I always keep an eye out in local gravel walkways and parking lots.  Have found  plenty of nice pink feldspar and a few pegmatite cobbles.

IP Logged

Joe Sal
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Tim, Thanks for the reply and apologize for the long delay. I agree, even though I look crazy at times, i'm always looking around to see what I can find.  Joe, as promised I've been out searching. I found a small vein of quartz with some nice ilmenite. Also found quite a bit of calcite and quartz with some good chlorite inclusions.  The most interesting find from this weekend is below... I "think" what I found are limonite after pyrite... I say this based on the cubic shape like pyrite however, very imperfect. Value your thoughts....

IP Logged

Joe Sal
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
resized that photo.. still getting the hang of this forum.  Huh

rsz_20170808_205241.jpg ( 135 KB | 100 Downloads )
rsz_20170808_205241.jpg

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Interesting shapes!  I have not read up on limonite or collected it, so I can't say.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint