Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Probably ridiculous questions (Read 1413 times)
Dude

RockHoundLounger

Probably ridiculous questions
Jul 14th, 2017 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Please forgive my ignorance here! I love minerals/crystals dearly, however all this stuff is all very new so I kind of feel like a 3 year old trying to understand the grown ups but I will get there... hopefully!!

I was wondering if anybody would be so kind as to answer a few daft questions for me that I'll keep in this post so I'm not littering the place with my stuff.

Firstly I have seen pictures today and elestials is never mentioned, now either I'm wrong and they are not elestials anyway, or this isn't a term used with rock hounders etc.. so is elestials a term used?

Do you need different tools for different crystals/rocks?

Now even I'm thinking this is daft but how do you actually go about it? So say you know a place good for minerals- how would you choose where to start??

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Probably ridiculous questions
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Good question about the "elestial". I've been wondering, too.
Seems like someone says, "That's elestial quartz." And people go, "Oh."
So, the final word on all things quartz,..."The Quartz Page".
here's a link to the elestial page, http://www.quartzpage.de/gro_text.html#elestial

As for your other little question, that's a lot of question.
I'll bet Scott could sum it up in a few short sentences. Wink

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Hey Joe thanks for clearing up the elestial thing for me and for a link to a very interesting site, officially bookmarked  Cool

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Finding minerals will be different depending on the location.  Even if you narrow it down to just one type of mineral, quartz for example.  Sometimes you have to mine it from iron hard rock, or if you're lucky, from soft clay. So your tools mainly reflect what kind of matrix material you have to work on to get to your minerals. Pry bars, chisels, sledge hammers, feathers and wedges for hard rock matrix.  Shovels and mattock for dirt and clay matrix.

Where do we start?  Here in NC we generally look for alpine-type fissures.  These are miniature faults caused by previous mountain building events millions of years ago.  These fissures are usually accompanied by mica, a shiny silvery to black mineral, as well as crystallized quartz.  We look for patches of mica or quartz on the surface that indicates a fissure.  From there we scrape around with our shovels or mattock until we find the fissure and expose it.  Sometimes the fissure is impossible to miss and completely exposed, others may be hidden under layers of dirt.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Thank you very much for that Scott, the tool thing completely makes sense I should have realised that. So I guess every time you go to a new location, you would research first so you know what clues you might be looking for, what the ground is likely to be like etc. I'm Making notes Smiley thank you

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Dude wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 11:56am:
Thank you very much for that Scott, the tool thing completely makes sense I should have realised that. So I guess every time you go to a new location, you would research first so you know what clues you might be looking for, what the ground is likely to be like etc. I'm Making notes Smiley thank you

You're welcome!  Wink  As they say there is no substitute for experience. Getting out in the field will always be your quickest way to learn.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Haha yes your right  Smiley I'm working on finding somewhere that I can get to (and trying to convince hubby what a great idea this is! He isn't too convinced lol)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint