Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What are Vera Cruz amethysts? (Read 930 times)
Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

What are Vera Cruz amethysts?
Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:11am
Print Post  
While in Georgia, I found a little gem store. The missus liked a particular amethyst because it wasn't the deep purple of our amethyst collection, it was more of a lilac color. The id tag said it was from India, that's cool, we don't have any from there that I'm aware of. When we got home and showed someone a picture, they said it was a Vera Cruz. This is a term that I'm unfamiliar with, so I looked it up on mindat, which revealed nothing. The internet in general reveals minerals colored similar to mine, but Vera Cruz is a location in Mexico. So, is Vera Cruz just a loose definition for light-colored amethysts, is it a label for minerals coming out of a region in Mexico, or is the term just another marketing tool for the metaphysical types, like how Lemurian Seed is? This isn't exactly a burning question of mine, just a curiosity Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: What are Vera Cruz amethysts?
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Vera Cruz, Mexico is indeed a location where some of the worlds most beautiful amethyst crystals are mined.  Vera Cruz amethysts have their own unique and aesthetic beauty, and thus can be easily discriminated from other amethysts found around the globe.

https://www.mindat.org/min-198.html

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Ryan T.
YaBB Newbies

Re: What are Vera Cruz amethysts?
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Now I see, thank you. I never thought to use the map on mindat. So, Veracruz amethysts are from Veracruz. Dude, there are So many snake oil salesmen out there these days Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint