Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Petrified Wood w/ Druzy Crystal. (Read 1271 times)
Dustin D
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Petrified Wood w/ Druzy Crystal.
Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Hello! This is my first post and probably will be my only. I was just wondering how uncommon finding a piece of Petrified wood like this is. It was found in Northern Virginia, my mother and I find pieces like it very often and we both think they're absolutely stunning but we can't seem to find a price range on them or well... anyone else who's found something super alike.

Thank you for all replies! -Dustin

IMG_7285.JPG ( 1464 KB | 78 Downloads )
IMG_7285.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Petrified Wood w/ Druzy Crystal.
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Whoa up there Dustin buddy. Hold your horses, so to speak. Smiley
First thing you need to do is accurately identify what it is you're finding before you wonder about how much it is worth.
You are calling what you've found petrified wood with tiny quartz drusy. I'm wondering if it isn't a sandstone and the drusy you are seeing is the sparkle of grains of quartz sand shining out at you?

I would suggest you do some research on the sandstones found in your area of Virginia. You might find something similar there.

IP Logged

Dustin D
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
No, I'm pretty certain it's petrified wood, it's makes a certain noise when clinked together. We have many many pieces of petrified wood with knots & such in them.
So I'd say it is(:
As for the druzy, that's what I've seen other people call it on petrified wood and such. I just haven't seen anyone has a piece with such clear/white crystals as this. Mostly as a darker color
(I thought druzy was the same or very similar to quarts)

Thank you so much for your reply!(:

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Good enough, Dustin.
We have both, the pet wood like yours, and lots of sandstones that can look like the pet wood around here. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart.
I couldn't find any good pictures either. I would guess $3-4.00 a lb. would be a fair price.
Whatever you can get works too. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint