Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Something I can't identify. (Read 3118 times)
Dude

RockHoundLounger

Re: Something I can't identify.
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
How would you do about cleaning that up if it’s selenite?  I’m not saying it needs cleaning up! Or is it just a darker selenite?

Think I need to look into selenite clusters, I had a awesome big selenite rod but I got a bit too excited and hit it against a door waving it around like a light saber.... less chance of me breaking a cluster!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Hey Dude, Gypsum and Selenite are such soft rocks that they would dissolve in many cleaning solutions and acids. Most of that dark color is probably included or attached to the crystals and wouldn't come off anyway, but a real careful job with a toothbrush and dish detergent, rinse, and quickly dry might be the best you could do. And, depending on the specimen, you may not want to get it wet at all.

I don't know but waving a cluster around sounds like more to break! Wink

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #17 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Hey joe Smiley yes, that’s what I was thinking, I ruined a good bit of selenite once by giving it a quick clean with water Sad when I saw this I was thinking maybe it doesn’t come like the transparent white that I see, I have only seen natural rods and plates- didn’t even know they grew in clusters! But to clean this bad boy up to be like something I have seen seems impossible... so I was wondering how... but clearly it just isn’t and it’s the inclusions etc. I wouldn’t clean it up anyway- makes the selenite look more “grrr” lol  Grin

Hahah for the record I have never waved a cluster around, I let those sit pretty while I adore them! I’m terrible with sizes but my rod is like 2 foot  Huh So when I held it... well it just had to be done!! Lesson learned!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint