Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hello from Durham, NC! (Read 2342 times)
rockZo
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Hello from Durham, NC!
Nov 8th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Hi there! I am so excited to meet y'all, and learn from some of the best! I'm a Durham, NC based rockhound. I grew up collecting pretty rocks, and became passionate about finding my own in situ a few years ago - luckily my husband is on board and has an excellent eye - so we hound most weekends Smiley

We've been lucky enough to visit several localities* in NC and beyond, including Emerald Hollow Mine, Blue Wing Mine, Ray Mine, House Creek in Wake County, Clegg Mine, Mine Creek, Hanson Quarry, Garnet Hill, Diamond Hill (Abbeville, SC), Shark Tooth Island (for fossils in NC) and have also found some good Arrowheads in fields and fossils during a trip to Warsaw NY  Cheesy We do mostly surface collecting and creeking to be honest, but would love to learn some techniques for locating spots to dig.

My dream dig would be to visit the Reel Mine...though I know it closed last year and the land is for sale... In the plans for the acreage, it looks like someone purchased 10 acres and named it "Amethyst Acres"...so a girl can dream!

Anyway, I really look forward to meeting you all. I'm fascinated by Wake County finds, but as I live in Durham, its not always easy to find construction sites when the time is ripe. I've also seen gorgeous specimens from a Wake County cemetery if anyone has any insight here...I'd love to hear your hints, tricks, and learn from y'all - and share any info I can  Wink

*Some of the localities we've visited are on private property and require permissions to visit.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Hello from Durham, NC!
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Welcome  to the Lounge, rockZo!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Hey rockZo! Sounds like you've been doing your homework and the legwork. Good for you! Welcome to the Board!

IP Logged

wellse5438
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Hello!
Another RockHound  Gal from Durham NC!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Welcome rockZo!  By all the places you've already been to it's obvious you've got the bug big time.  Glad to have you here at the RHL.  Unfortunately, the Wake County "cemetery" location is on its very last leg and diggable areas are not really present until they put more houses in on empty manicured lots.  I'll have to try and set up another RHL dig so all of the members can get together to meet and dig together.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Welcome!  I'm in Durham too!  Woohoo!  Someday we should plan a Chapel Hill-Durham meet up and .... I don't know .... go look for rocks, or something.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint