Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Our newest additions... (Read 2617 times)
Daniegirl_76
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Our newest additions...
Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:13am
Print Post  
We were out for quite a while recently after having cabin fever with all the rain showers... we found a few things...

First two pics i believe to be rose quarz.. definitely quarts
i almost bent my pocket knife test scratching it lol

The next 3 pics are what i believe to be a cluster of Chalcopyrite, Galena, Calcite, and Sphalerite.  ( since it is usually found with with galena, pyrite, and other sulfides along with calcite, dolomite, and fluorite.-   I have found barite with them very often as well but since Missouri used to be the Natiions leader in Barite production, that is expected also.)

Galena is the official mineral of the U.S. state of Missouri and we are down south where a lot of mining took place.  You'll find lead, copper and even magnetite.  Mostly what we find has lead, iron or copper.

You can always tell when you find a good lead - i went out to hold this 6 x 6 inch rock to my husband to check out and when i dropped it into his hand he almost hit the floor.   Roll Eyes  The specific gravity for Galena is almost at 8 i believe and if i remember correctly even a 4.5 'feels' heavier then it should.

The last is my hubbies baby.. i am not sure but it might be a Hardin?

Thanks for taking a peak and please correct me if i am wrong just giving my best guesses.

~~ Danie

20171122_231905.jpg ( 1281 KB | 92 Downloads )
20171122_231905.jpg
20171123_033855.jpg ( 898 KB | 74 Downloads )
20171123_033855.jpg
20171122_225559.jpg ( 1285 KB | 80 Downloads )
20171122_225559.jpg
20171122_230101.jpg ( 1251 KB | 88 Downloads )
20171122_230101.jpg
20171122_225628.jpg ( 1292 KB | 82 Downloads )
20171122_225628.jpg
Hardin_Arrowhead_2.jpg ( 1269 KB | 75 Downloads )
Hardin_Arrowhead_2.jpg

"Never let the world take away your smile- instead, use your smile and steal the world!"
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Our newest additions...
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Nice finds! Thanks for the pictures!

It's good to hear you are familiar with your local minerals. Galena, sphalerite, fluorite,barite, and pyrite can all make very pretty specimens and are all lots of fun to search for and collect. Some of the tailing piles at the old abandoned mines would be good places to look.
It's hard to tell galena from pyrite from sphalerite from your pictures.

As far as rose quartz goes, it depends on who you talk to. Some people count any quartz colored by mineral impurities, such as iron oxide stains, rose quartz if it has that rosey color, and is found in many places all over the world. I, on the other hand, am in the group that thinks it takes more than that to be rose quartz. Exactly what, no one is really sure.
Here's a link that explains what I'm talking about. If you scroll down to the "Occurrence and Diagnostic Features" section.
http://www.mineralminers.com/html/rsqminfo.htm

And that's areal sweet point made out of some luscious material!
Nice Finds! Good luck this weekend! Wink

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Nice specimens, and good photos.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Daniegirl_76
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 12:49am
Print Post  
JoeM wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 6:16pm:
Nice finds! Thanks for the pictures!

As far as rose quartz goes, it depends on who you talk to. Some people count any quartz colored by mineral impurities, such as iron oxide stains, rose quartz if it has that rosey color, and is found in many places all over the world. I, on the other hand, am in the group that thinks it takes more than that to be rose quartz. Exactly what, no one is really sure.
Here's a link that explains what I'm talking about. If you scroll down to the "Occurrence and Diagnostic Features" section.
http://www.mineralminers.com/html/rsqminfo.htm

And that's areal sweet point made out of some luscious material!
Nice Finds! Good luck this weekend! Wink

Oh I agree on the Quartz 100%.  I forgot to mention that when I referenced the color.  There are fractures and I am sure the color is from an impurity but I am not positive which one but since we are sitting on miles of old iron mines, that would be my guess-   unless someone has a gamma ray   Huh - but it is my favorite color hee hee
Thank you for all your replies - I really appreciate it.  Happy Holidays.

- Danielle

"Never let the world take away your smile- instead, use your smile and steal the world!"
IP Logged

Daniegirl_76
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Tim4d wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:08pm:
Nice specimens, and good photos.  Thanks!

Thank you, Tim!  Happy Holidays!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint