Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Haw Scrapers (Read 13057 times)
JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Haw Scrapers
Dec 22nd, 2017 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
This thread isn't named that because that's what you say when you're walking along and find a scraper. Like,"Haw! A scraper!"
It's because I found these at sites along the Haw River in Chatham and Lee Counties, NC.
I was going thru a drawer of old Haw River artifacts the other night because I think it's a game old people play with themselves to test their memory. They rumage around in drawers that they haven't opened in a while and see if they can remember putting what they find in there. Huh

But I enjoy looking at scrapers. Finding the working edge. The, more often than not, flat or smooth backs. Figuring out how it was held, or was it hafted? How old is it and did it have a special purpose?
Scrapers can tell a story, too. Here are a few.
Pic 1 & 2 are top and bottom of the whole assortment.
The 3 to far right are graver types.
The dark piece middle bottom is a piece of historic rum bottle used as a scraper. Not that uncommon, but an old piece of glass.

DSCN0409.JPG ( 181 KB | 111 Downloads )
DSCN0409.JPG
DSCN0431.JPG ( 173 KB | 89 Downloads )
DSCN0431.JPG
DSCN0440.JPG ( 208 KB | 101 Downloads )
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0413_002.JPG ( 172 KB | 109 Downloads )
DSCN0413_002.JPG
DSCN0441.JPG ( 128 KB | 97 Downloads )
DSCN0441.JPG
DSCN0448.JPG ( 151 KB | 102 Downloads )
DSCN0448.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Haw Scrapers
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
In archaeological excavations these two have been found to be associated with the Kirk Phase here in NC and are called Kirk Scrapers.
To give the Kirk Phase an approximate time range let's say 8000 - 7000 BC. These hide scrapers were "hafted" or tied to a stick for a handle.

It was obviously a very busy time around here during Kirk time as they are usually in the top three of types found in most collections from Piedmont NC. I found a nice little sample of Kirk points in the drawer for the second pic below.
These four points, inbetween the two scrapers, do a pretty good job showing the transition the type went thru over it's 1000 years. The earlier period points are Kirk Corner-Notched and the final period is called Kirk Stemmed and is typified by a straight-sided base and serrated blade edges. The one far right is a perfect example and interesting rock. When that point was being made the rock did not look anything like that. You couldn't see all the lighter areas, it would have all appeared as a dark colored mix.

And that's important. The amount of "oxidation" creating the patina of the rock can tell you a lot about age. Notice how both the scrapers and points have a deep and total oxidized patina.
You would too if you were made 10,000 years ago. Wink

The two points are examples of the next phase and shown just to show the next shape of the bottom, from the Kirk Stemmed to the bifurcated base Stanley type. Those big broad Stanley's are about impossible to find whole!

DSCN0454_001.JPG ( 157 KB | 101 Downloads )
DSCN0454_001.JPG
DSCN0456.JPG ( 184 KB | 110 Downloads )
DSCN0456.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Now these kindof show the other end of the timeline.
Of course the glass scraper is historic. Let's give it an early range date of 1600AD. The long skinny "Arrowhead" projectile point, far right, is the very last point type defined in the state of NC. It is called the Randolph Point and has a circa date of 1750-1820AD. They always left some of the weathered rock on the outside of their points as shown in Pic 2.
This is a kindof cool picture actually because the point, or biface, to the far left in the pic is the Earliest type of Arrowhead defined found in NC and is called a Badin. The Badin was a very experimental point type as they learned the art of archery and would be about 1500 years earlier than the other artifacts in the pic. Note the difference in oxidation of the Badin compared to the triangular scraper and Randolph.

DSCN0462.JPG ( 130 KB | 93 Downloads )
DSCN0462.JPG
DSCN0471.JPG ( 156 KB | 95 Downloads )
DSCN0471.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
And we could speculate for hours about why they made this out of quartz crystal and what it was used for! Smiley

DSCN0418.JPG ( 133 KB | 90 Downloads )
DSCN0418.JPG

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Thanks for the excellent information about scrapers.  I've found several scrapers in the Low Country of South Carolina (Jasper & Hampton counties) very similar to these.  Almost all were made from Allendale Chert.

In the 8th photograph (DSCN0456.JPG) there are two points on the bottom row.  The one on the left looks very much like the Stanley points I have found in WNC and SC, having a bifurcated base and lopsided ears.  How closely related are Stanleys to Kirks?

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Hey Dennis,
The Stanley type follows the Kirks and they are very closely related.
I have no idea why they made those large broad blades or what purpose they had. Width to length ratio on those range from 1-1 to 1-1.5. But they also made a more narrow lance form of projectile point that will sometimes look like a Savannah River, with the slightly concave or bifurcated base.
And there you have it in a nutshell. One thing archaeologist try to determine is what people or lineage is "continuous" in any given area. Cultures and people that continued to occupy the same turf over time. Just before the Kirk Phase is a type called Palmer. Many people think they should be included as the earliest Kirks, but debate still rages. For now the "official" homeboys of North Carolina start with the Kirks, include the Stanleys, and finally the Savannah River Phase. That's our continuous lineage.
The Morrow Mountain and Guilford types are considered intrusions to our area, and I'm not sure how they view the Paleo Points, like Hardaway and Clovis. I would probably be willing to include the Hardaway to the beginning of our local lineage.
In short, the Kirks and Stanleys are cousins! Wink

Have a very Merry Christmas! Smiley

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Finished sorting thru that drawer and found all sorts of stuff.
Here's three more scrapers I liked because of the material. Projectile points are "bi-facially" worked tools. Scrapers are "uni-facially" worked tools. They are ever so slightly chipped from the flat side to create a good sharp scraping edge.

First pic is the top side and the working edges are pointing to the right.
In pic two I just flipped them over so working edge is facing to the left. I hope you can see the flat surfaces.

DSCN0483.JPG ( 140 KB | 84 Downloads )
DSCN0483.JPG
DSCN0489_001.JPG ( 165 KB | 86 Downloads )
DSCN0489_001.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Of all the scrapers I re-found, this was my favorite!
It is made from some of the local Haw River Chert. Where Hwy 1 crosses the Haw down to Old #1, there several chert dikes on both sides of the river. Down close to the river it is more solid brown translucent microcrystaline quartz, or chert. Up on higher ground there are more different colors like gray-blues, reds, yellows. A jasper.
I've dug several of the dikes and have collected quite a nice variety.

Here's the scraper and a cab I made years ago of the exact same material. Cool

DSCN0496.JPG ( 141 KB | 80 Downloads )
DSCN0496.JPG
DSCN0512.JPG ( 148 KB | 94 Downloads )
DSCN0512.JPG
DSCN0507.JPG ( 140 KB | 93 Downloads )
DSCN0507.JPG
DSCN0514.JPG ( 154 KB | 89 Downloads )
DSCN0514.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
The chert veins, lenses, and bodies of this area of Lee County were perfectly positioned for utilization by aboriginal populations, unfortunately, the chert is so blocky and fractured it is very hard to get tools of any size out of it. Great material for scrapers and small projectile points, but pretty useless for making large 3-4 inch spearheads, so they are not well represented in local artifact collections.
At the bottom of a ridge running along the river the floodplain widens to about 150 yards and across this field the ancient river cut an almost vertical profile about 20 feet high in the base of the ridge.
The approximately 10 x 10 inch chert vein, which is very good size for this area, was exposed on and off in this cut for atleast 50 feet running with the contour of the foliation of the surrounding rock.
So I am "guessing" the chert in this area formed pre-pangea?
Archaic occupations were all up on the ridgetop and the floodplain would have been perfect for later Woodland occupations. I always wanted to find a triangle arrowhead made from the chert in that field but unfortunately that occupation was buried too far down under the last few hundred years of sediment and would take some digging to get to.
I am sure this vein was utilized prehistorically but doubt that it has been recorded. There hasn't been much investigation of this chert done, but here is a sample of a report. Scroll down to second article in the link,"Piedmont Chert Quarry".
http://rla.unc.edu/Archives/NCAS/Newsletters_(new_series)/Volume_2_No_3.pdf
Here are pics of pieces from the brown chert vein. Note the blocky structure and white/cream colored areas. The last pic is how the slab would have been positioned in the vein. The whole vein was fractured like this about every inch along it's length. Once you have exposed the vein you can pull these slabs out almost like books off a shelf. Wink

DSCN0545_001.JPG ( 157 KB | 75 Downloads )
DSCN0545_001.JPG
DSCN0535.JPG ( 186 KB | 90 Downloads )
DSCN0535.JPG
DSCN0526.JPG ( 151 KB | 82 Downloads )
DSCN0526.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I call clear to white chert or agate chalcedony. Smiley
Anyway, some of the chert is fairly colorless. I don't know if this material can be found in different areas in the same vein as the brown chert?
The Corner-Notched Kirk pictured below is the largest projectile point I have ever seen made from Lee County chert, and he had a hard time doing it!
Below that are some more cabs with a row of the colorful Lee County jasper cabs in the bottom row just to show some of the variations of the Lee County Chert.

DSCN0556.JPG ( 180 KB | 109 Downloads )
DSCN0556.JPG
DSCN0562_001.JPG ( 181 KB | 103 Downloads )
DSCN0562_001.JPG
DSCN0566_001.JPG ( 198 KB | 92 Downloads )
DSCN0566_001.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
One more special find from the drawer would be this atlatl.
A half is as good as a whole when it comes to these things. That hole they drill in the rock is pretty cool alright but it definitely makes for a weak spot. I've found atleast ten of these all broken the same way.
Whole ones are hard to find!
This stone feels pretty soft, possibly a black mineral schist. Not chlorite. And the way the hole is tapered tells you it was drilled with a stone drill and not a reed.

DSCN0575.JPG ( 147 KB | 89 Downloads )
DSCN0575.JPG
DSCN0584.JPG ( 145 KB | 105 Downloads )
DSCN0584.JPG
DSCN0588_001.JPG ( 148 KB | 101 Downloads )
DSCN0588_001.JPG

IP Logged

julie
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Fascinating!   i really enjoyed your  post.  I have so much to learn!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Thanks for looking, Julie, and Happy New Year! Smiley
That's the nice thing about rocks, there's always something to learn!

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for taking to time to teach us about all this!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for taking the time to read it, Tim! Smiley
I've got a few more of those drawers to look through. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint