Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mineral of the Month (Read 906 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Mineral of the Month
Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
If you have not already noticed I had stopped updating the Mineral of the Month board.  There are few main reasons:  The first, is that it did not seem to produce the amount of content I was hoping to be worth continuing. Content examples would be members posting pictures of their own minerals and/or adding discussion to the topic. Don't worry I'm not upset at that at all, it's just the way it is. The second is that I haven't been able to find the time to keep this up every month  Embarrassed. Lastly, if I were to continue, the more commonly known minerals would eventually be used up and mineral of the month would soon be going into obscure minerals that no one has heard of or are interested in.

Thank you very much to all those individuals who indeed participated, posted examples, and discussed the mineral of the month. If you have any ideas on a board that could potentially replace this one I'm very open to suggestion. Please discuss!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Re: Mineral of the Month
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I have often read the mineral of the month posts and always learn something.  I guess I never contributed anything because I think you cover the info pretty well and take really great photos, so my contribution might be something like "wow, thanks for the info, very interesting!"  which doesn't lead to much further discussion.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
What a shame. You do a really great job with this forum, Scott. I am sure it does take a lot of work and energy.
It would be great to have more discussion on here. It feels like a ghost town compared to previously. I feel like I just walked into the room after a some major shocking news was announced.  Undecided
I have missed the Mineral of the Month section as I have been MIA for a couple of years, so I haven't helped much.
I am making an effort to share pics of my finds, even if they are mediocre; and I plan to make a report of my creek of jasp-agate soon. I maybe boring, but I hope to contribute something positive.
Your contributions are totally appreciated! Please keep infusing this forum with shiny things, adventure stories, and whatnot!
I "colors of agate" section could go on forever! Although I would caution people about getting into agate; it seems to have its own kind of "fever". I have a hard time refocusing and expanding away from it anymore. I just have to find the right pink and white one...or pink and purple...or one more pink with dark pink spots... Grin
Is there really an obscure mineral no one is interested in...a mineral that no one is interested in?  Grin

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad that people were indeed perusing the mineral of the month. If there is enough demand I'm not opposed to bringing it back.

Rebecca, yes it is a ghost town sometimes, but other times it can be bustling with activity. Some of it is my fault as I haven't had time to add interesting content, but I'll be trying to change this very soon.  Most of my work recently has been focused on producing new rockhound videos. The editing process can take days to complete.

2018 is going to be a good year, I feel it!   Grin

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Wailele

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Well if the mineral of the month was Quartz, the only thing I would be posting would be the milky stuff you find all over the place. You guys have some amazing stuff out on the East coast. Over here it seems like the desert is the best place that's free for the picking. But then the stuff that I'll be finding would be more agates and jaspers. Meta chert and other funky stuff around where I live. All the good places are on private land or you'll have to pay to dig. The Mineral of the Month section was very educating to me and I wish I could contribute to it but, I need to get out more and start exploring different areas. By the way, I watched your YouTube video of the Reel Mine and DAMN that was some really cool amethyst clusters you pulled out!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Wailele wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:06am:
Well if the mineral of the month was Quartz, the only thing I would be posting would be the milky stuff you find all over the place. You guys have some amazing stuff out on the East coast. Over here it seems like the desert is the best place that's free for the picking. But then the stuff that I'll be finding would be more agates and jaspers. Meta chert and other funky stuff around where I live. All the good places are on private land or you'll have to pay to dig. The Mineral of the Month section was very educating to me and I wish I could contribute to it but, I need to get out more and start exploring different areas. By the way, I watched your YouTube video of the Reel Mine and DAMN that was some really cool amethyst clusters you pulled out!

Thanks Wailele. I may consider bringing the Mineral of the Month back. It looks like more people than I thought read and learned from it.  Yeah, the Reel mine was such an awesome place and we all miss it very much. I'm glad I had the ability and forethought to record some of my experiences there before it was closed to the public.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Wailele

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Maybe change "Mineral of the Month" to something like "Mineral Highlights or Spotlight"? That way you won't have to post something on a monthly basis.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Wailele wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
Maybe change "Mineral of the Month" to something like "Mineral Highlights or Spotlight"? That way you won't have to post something on a monthly basis.

I like that idea.  I'll definitely consider that!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

jgards86

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I second that suggestion! Good idea.

IP Logged

Leo
Ex Member