Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic fossil from E TN (Read 1683 times)
Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

fossil from E TN
Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
this is either limestone or quartzite. You can see the animal spiraled down and around. The hole on the side of the rock is part of the spiral and the tail is exposed. The entire negative of the fossil is lined with the tiny quartz crystals.
This was near the pink and grey quartzite that I want to try to polish, but not the same.  Smiley
I am still looking for the pretty quartzite  in the many many boxes labeled "rocks" ... Roll Eyes I started labeling the boxes "mineral specimens" so the movers wouldn't throw them around.  You should have seen their faces moving boxes of "rocks"..one young kid actually walked off the job.

DSC_0489.jpg ( 6302 KB | 121 Downloads )
DSC_0489.jpg

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Re: fossil from E TN
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

Nice fossil snail you have there.  It looks similar to ones I found in central and west Texas back in the 1970s. 

When I enlarged the photo I saw some nice, small BB's of chert.  I would call the piece chert, because this formed in a fresh or salt water environment and is a combination of limestone and Silicon Dioxide.  Jasper is almost always pure Silicon Dioxide (Quartz), and formed under intense heat and pressure without the presence of Calcium Carbonate.

Dennis

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: fossil from E TN
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Dennis. Very informative. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint