Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Father/Daughter Fun at Pala Mine (Read 3781 times)
MTNPIPR
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Father/Daughter Fun at Pala Mine
Feb 10th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Well, after a day of grueling work on the tailings pile at the Pala mine (my daughter is too young to go to the freestyle searching area, so we needed to work the tailings pile and tables), we found a bunch of stones, mostly black tourmaline, milky quartz, a cloudy piece of aquamarine, and some specks of some clear watermelon tourmaline.

A lot of the black tourmaline had white (calcium?) deposits on it, and I would like to clean it off without damaging the black base material (see picture).  Can that be done?  I read sometimes Oxacylic acid can clean off stones, but unsure if that would damage the black part, etc.

Also found this interesting purple colored rock (much more purple than the picture shows - moscovite, maybe?), and something that looks like a cloudy light pink tourmaline? 

Overall, we had a fun at Pala and would go back again sometime.

Any guidance or ID info would be appreciated - thank you! 

BlkTourmaline.jpg ( 67 KB | 38 Downloads )
BlkTourmaline.jpg
pinkTourmaline1.jpg ( 16 KB | 38 Downloads )
pinkTourmaline1.jpg
pinkTourmaline2.jpg ( 53 KB | 35 Downloads )
pinkTourmaline2.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg ( 494 KB | 48 Downloads )
IMG_0096.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Father/Daughter Fun at Pala Mine
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Good Enough, MTNPIPR
As long as you're looking at rocks it's a good day! Gotta develop that eye! Smiley
And what a great place to go. Feel free to post some pics of the action!

Anyway, I'll try and answer a couple of your questions.
No, I doubt you will be able to remove the calcite or quartz from your tourmaline without hurting it. Unless you can take an xacto knife or something and just "flick" the pieces off without the tourmaline coming with it. Oxalic acid is great for cleaning the dirt, clay, and iron stains off specimens but would do nothing to the tourmaline or what's on it.
Purple sure is a pretty color. Purple mica is called Lepidolite. I'm not sure what your specimen is. Could be lepidolite but it looks like it may have decomposing garnet splotches in it giving it the color. Might have both.

Good to hear you've been working on it!

IP Logged

MTNPIPR
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Father/Daughter Fun at Pala Mine
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
JoeM - thank you!  We were soooo busy screening that when we got home we realized we didn't take any "action" shots.  Shocked  Next time for sure!

Appreciate the answers as well.  Pity about being unable to remove the calcite - if I used an xacto blade, I would probably stab myself so I suppose those chunks with calcite will just go in the tumbler.  I'll do some research on the Ledidolite - need to find a way to get the color right in the picture next time as well.

Thanks again for the input!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint