Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Perspectives on removal of native artifacts (Read 5234 times)
MTNPIPR
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Perspectives on removal of native artifacts
Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:24am
Print Post  
THIS IS A NON-TROLLING POST

We have some property in the Southern Sierras, and, from what I can discern, it appears that the presence of Native American artifacts is highly likely (e.g., obsidian chips are readily seen walking around, etc.).

It is of interest to my youngest daughter and I to explore and see what we can find.  However, I am also concerned as to whether we should "collect" them (i.e., take possession of them by removing them from their initial location and perhaps organize them in a frame or cabinet at our cabin there), or leave them where they may be found.  I have been going round and round on this, and can think of reasonable arguments on both sides.

I would be interested in any perspectives that those with greater experience may have that would be informative, and thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts in a hopefully constructive manner.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Re: Perspectives on removal of native artifacts
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Removal of Native American artifacts is prohibited on Federally-owned land.  This includes National Parks and Monuments, National Forests, Army Corps of Engineers property (property around lakes), Bureau of Land Management, National Refuges, and others.  I'm sure that most states have similar regulations on state property, too.

You should check with your state to see if this applies to private property.  Good luck.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Good question, MTNPIPR, glad you asked.
Glad to hear you understand the significance of collecting artifacts to give them the respect they deserve.

The laws do differ from state to state, and interpretation of said laws vary depending on who you are talking to and what kind of day they are having.
And, to begin with, we have to understand the important difference between "surface collecting" and digging" when interpreting any laws.
Here in North Carolina the laws stated by Dennis above are correct. The removal of "anything" from State or Federal property is illegal, but there is an emphasis on "protection" of cultural resources.
In NC, probably CA as well, it is perfectly legal to surface collect or dig for artifacts on your own property, UNTIL, IF, you hit a burial. It is, of course, illegal to dig a grave, even if it is on your own property. Common sense. The only unfortunate part of this is that all those artifacts you've been collecting for the last 30 years before you stumbled across the eroded burial are now contraband being "associated" with a burial.

I knew this was going to be a long reply................ Roll Eyes

Anyway, while you are becoming familiar with your local Office of State Archaeology,....
The best way to start a surface collection, and no different than what the professional archaeologists would do, is get a blow-up of a USGS 7.5 minute series Quadrangle Topo map of your property. Draw a north-south oriented grid over your parcel. The block size would depend on the size of your property, but make them no bigger than an acre and the smaller the better. Give each block a number. When you get home from your fieldtrips record where the artifacts were found. As you mentioned, you may find just a bunch of "flakes". Well flakes are artifacts too and a lot can be learned from them. Over time you may start to see real "concentrations" of flakes in certain areas. And the flakes at one concentration may be mainly a different material than at another. Any nice finds like tools or projectile points you would want to locate and date.
You do not need to do this at first but keep in mind that your blocks can easily be subdivided into A,B,C,D squares if you happen to find an exceptionally busy area. If you catalog your finds you may want to go ahead and include the letter designated breakdown of blocks.

Having the opportunity and doing something like this would be fabulously fun and educational. A casual get-to-know the land surface collection and see if any patterns progress over time. There is really nothing more a professional archaeologist could do or suggest.
Sounds like a very interesting, fun project to me and no telling where it will lead!

Let us know if you have more questions. Good luck.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
To play devil's advocate...
what is the point of leaving them?
I have seen them broken in tire tracks and tend believe that is a worse fate for them.
Joe has a fabulous idea and if it encourages a young woman to be involved in history, geology, archaeology, or any field of science; it can't be a bad thing. And when a discernible pattern is revealed on your landscape, who knows what she might discover: a previously unknown group, a piece of the puzzle of this land's incarnations.

I think it comes down to intention, as with anything we do. The artifacts should be revered and honored and collected in a mindful way.  To catalogue is a very respectful and academic way. Displaying in a respectful way in a place of honor is respectful of the amazing and extensive qualities and expressions of these artifacts.

I have never sold artifacts, but that is more of a moral quandary.
Or myself, have found many worked pieces that are beautiful, but broken. I have been so tempted to rework these into cabochons, but can't bring myself to do it yet. It is one thing to be an original people and rework a point out of necessity. Is it ok if i rework for the sake of folly? Or am I honoring their choice in material and giving it a chance to be appreciated still?

I forgot to say that digging or even surface collecting near or on a burial mound or any burial monument or sacred site would definitely be off limits.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:11pm by Rebecca »  

IP Logged

MTNPIPR
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I greatly appreciate the constructive and thoughtful perspectives.  I can appreciate that this can be done in a way that does not insult or degrade the contributions and heritages of those who lived in harmony with this land before our cabin was built there.  I imagine a fair amount of the area was disrupted around our cabin's immediate location given the groundwork that was done, but most of the other acreage is relative untouched.  I guess we will start a grid process using GPS since I do not want to have all that stuff laid out to attract attention since we are not living there.  Something else to add to the "Daddy needs to learn list"!  Will post here as the experience moves forward.  Again, many thanks for the sage counsel.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I thought about that after my post, MTNPIPR.
Using the old 7.5 Quad topo maps is the way we used to do it back in the day and I'm sure that work is all being done with GPS and computer maps these days. I don't know if any place even sells those 7.5 maps anymore. I still prefer the 7.5 topo maps because I can read them better. But then again I still use road maps.  Roll Eyes
Maybe Scott, Dennis, or someone can suggest a map program to use to record your finds? (Your daughter may be leaving you in her dust on this one. Wink )
I don't know how close you are to a State Archaeology office but don't hesitate to pick their brains whenever you have the chance. They may all ready have some information recorded on your property or nearby.
Archaeology is a science that combines and uses all the other sciences. Most often every time you find an answer to a question the result is a hundred new questions.
It can be fascinating. Enjoy and good luck!
Joe

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
The map program I currently use is ACME Mapper 2.1.  It's free and you can toggle from road map to topo to satellite view.  It has a very good zoom feature, and that works great with the satellite view (aerial) to see prominent features on the ground.  It does not, however, have a way to add GPS waypoints, like more sophisticated and expensive map programs.

Dennis

IP Logged

MTNPIPR
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I tried that Mapping program - thought I would print both satellite and plat maps in the same size, overlay them, and then set up a grid.  However, whenever I try to print from it, it has a huge blank/white section that runs for about 1/3 of the page height in landscape orientation across the entire width of the page. 

Anyone have this problem and figure out a workaround?

Love the program on the screen though!

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I forgot to mention that I never was able to print a map from the program itself.  The way I print a map that I want is to open Powerpoint, click the globe on the map box to make it go away, hit Print Screen (PRTSC) on my keypad, then copy it to the Powerpoint page.   Once I have it in Powerpoint, I go to Format and crop the map to remove anything around the map until it is the way I want it.  Go to Format again to size to where you want it. 

I use Powerpoint to draw lines, label areas, or place symbols on the map.  After to get the map the way you want it, you can save it as a .jpg or any other photo extension that suits you.

It sounds complicated, but it works for me.

I've attached a map that I've created using this technique.

Dennis

Foote_Lithium_Co__MIne.jpg ( 478 KB | 77 Downloads )
Foote_Lithium_Co__MIne.jpg

IP Logged

MTNPIPR
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Dennis, I can actually follow that since I use PPT for work - that is great advise and I'll just do that.  Thank you!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint