Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mineral Fakes and Forgeries (Read 1695 times)
VictorK

RockHoundLounger

Mineral Fakes and Forgeries
Sep 27th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Two years ago I did a post on colored quartz fakes, mainly green quartz from China sold on ebay. Today I was looking at pieces of sky-blue hemimorphite from China up for sale. So I wondered... Is this deep, rich color real? After some search through websites, it turns out the answer is: Maybe. I would have to buy it and test to see if its dyed aragonite or real blue smithsonite. Maybe an expert could look at online photos and tell if the piece is genuine, but I'm not an expert. Anyway, in my online search, I came across 2 the-vug websites that give very helpful reviews of common fakes/forgeries of quartz and many other minerals. They are:
http://www.the-vug.com/vug/fakes.html
http://www.the-vug.com/vug/vugfakes.html
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2018 at 2:03pm by Scott LaBorde »  

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Mineral Fakes and Forgeries
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Yes, Victor, thank you for bringing this up again. It is good for anyone who buys mineral specimens to take a "re-fresher" read on the subject of fakes and forgeries every couple of years.
I remember about 5 years ago seeing the Blue "Hemimorphite" clusters everywhere. No one could say for sure what they were but they had high prices on them. Like you say, unless you test them, you can't be sure. They are very pretty, but save your money and buy some Tidy Bowl instead! Wink
I love how they treat the "Azeztulite" in this report! Cheesy

With out a doubt required reading for all mineral, fossil, and rock collectors. And there's so much more than what's listed here.

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Re: Mineral Fakes and Forgeries
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Yes very useful thanks Victor... also some amusing bits in there too. Bookmarked those

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint