Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Southwest Wyoming's Green River Formation (Read 3681 times)
VictorK

RockHoundLounger

Southwest Wyoming's Green River Formation
Oct 2nd, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Made another annual trip to southwest Wyoming, which has endless outcrops of Eocene sedimentary rocks. The chalky Green River limestone originated from sediments in a large lake bed around 53.5 to 48.5 million years ago. A couple of fee quarries allow collecting of fossils by splitting matrix blocks -- fossils are primarily fish, although plants, insects, etc. can also be found. There are plenty of fish to be found, and in 2 days I found dozens. Also made a side trip to Fossil Butte National Monument, which has a small but outstanding museum of the local fossils. The 2 museum photos are just a limited sample of the hundreds of pieces on display.

FishQuarry.jpg ( 496 KB | 96 Downloads )
FishQuarry.jpg
Wyoming2018_007.jpg ( 227 KB | 100 Downloads )
Wyoming2018_007.jpg
WyomingMuseum2018_006.jpg ( 260 KB | 114 Downloads )
WyomingMuseum2018_006.jpg

IP Logged

VictorK

RockHoundLounger

Re: Southwest Wyoming's Green River Formation
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
At dawn every morning, a small flock of magpies appeared at the motel, scrounging around for food scraps. I never saw this bird on the east coast, but they are large and neatly colored black and white. Always left them a few pizza crusts outside my door. Photo shows 2 of the flock looking at me for a handout.
After 2 days of fish collecting I decided to drive north on Route 189 about 70 miles along the Green River to Big Piney and Marbleton. If you like looking at endless outcrops of rocks along a highway, this is the perfect trip to take. In Marbleton I visited Jim Gray's Rock Shop, which is larger than I expected and has a great sample of Wyoming material. Couldn't resist buying some Blue Forest petrified wood (2 photos of a limb cast) and Wiggins Fork WY petrified wood. Wiggins Fork wood has a light green color on the outside and can show waterline agate patterns and botryoidal agate habits.

Magpies.jpg ( 335 KB | 95 Downloads )
Magpies.jpg
GreenRiver3.jpg ( 568 KB | 100 Downloads )
GreenRiver3.jpg
GreenRiver5.jpg ( 323 KB | 106 Downloads )
GreenRiver5.jpg
BlueForest_001.jpg ( 176 KB | 95 Downloads )
BlueForest_001.jpg
BlueForest_003.jpg ( 180 KB | 110 Downloads )
BlueForest_003.jpg
WiginsFork_004.jpg ( 141 KB | 100 Downloads )
WiginsFork_004.jpg

IP Logged

VictorK

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
From Marbleton, went east and then took Rt. 191 south to the Big Sandy Reservoir. Jim Gray suggested the spot as a place to find petrified wood. The reservoir is surrounded by low cliffs of eroding rocks as far as you can walk, and it would be easy to spend a whole day going around looking through all the material. The pet wood pieces were small and unimpressive, but I did come across a piece of apple green nephrite jade, which is Wyoming's state gemstone. It's not top quality, but should look better after going through tumbler polishing. This reservoir is west of the classic WY jade sites, so it wasn't something I expected to find, and was a good way to end this trip.

BigSandy.jpg ( 376 KB | 99 Downloads )
BigSandy.jpg
NephriteJade_003.jpg ( 181 KB | 115 Downloads )
NephriteJade_003.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Great field trip report Victor.  Those landscapes you captured are awesome. Excellent buys at Jim Gray's shop. Not many people can say they've gone fishing for 50 million year old fish.  Cheesy  Thanks for sharing!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Well Done, Victor! That's the way to do it and thanks for all the pictures!
Sounds like you might've shipped a few flat rate boxes home. Smiley
The museum looked pretty awesome and so were the specimens of wood you purchased. Very interesting waterline agate in the limbcast!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint