Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hello from Northern California (Read 1114 times)
Bob
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Hello from Northern California
Mar 4th, 2019 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
My name is Bob Rush. I'm a very long time lapidary - 57 years. My lapidary unit is homemade from stainless steel. I use 3" by 8" silicon carbide sanding belts used mostly dry and a 12" carpet covered polish wheel with cerium oxide polish. I do have 2 6" Genis but I only use them when I'm teaching.
I write a monthly page for Rock and Gem Magazine called "Bench Tips". I joined so I can see more of the eastern materials that people collect.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Hello from Northern California
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Welcome Bob!
57 years of lapidary!? That is really great! I have lots of questions!
I would love to see a pic of your home made equipment and some of your western material would be great too.
I hope to figure out stone cutting/polishing material I find.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Welcome to the RHL Bob. A teacher, writer, and lapidary professional -- wow such a bonus! You've come to the right place for eastern materials. If there are certain types of material you're interested in working yourself let us know. I hope to see some pictures of your work soon.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Bob
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Here is a photo of my machine.
Bob

IP Logged

Bob
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Here is a photo of Davis Creek obsidian. Davis Creek is in far Northeastern California. It is a popular collecting site on the West coast. It is 3" across.
Bob

IP Logged

Bob
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I had a glyptic artist friend carve a reverse intaglio image into the obsidian cab. This piece will be featured in my next month's article in Rock and Gem Magazine. The artist will be demonstrating his skills at our annual show - the turlockgemshow -this weekend.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Well Jeepers Creepers, Bob, Welcome to the Board! Smiley
It's not every day we get a professional of your caliber, not to mention celebrity, on here! Thank you for dropping in and saying "Hi".
I have read many of your articles and have always appreciated your combination of "old and new" techniques and technology.
I recently read your article in the December 2018 Rock and Gem on "Jack Hogue, A Modern Glyptic Artist", and, of course, was awed speechless by what he is doing! Beautiful beyond words, and, to me, it was refreshing to see how young he is and think about how much more work he will be producing.
The obsidian cabs are beautiful, before and after. Thank you very much for sharing. I have to ask, what "is" the sphere the diver is willing to risk life and limb for? Was that your idea or all Jacks' creation? Wink

Anyway, sounds like you have a busy full weekend coming up that I wish you all the best for. Hope the weather is not too much of an impediment and you have a great show!
We are always ready to talk and swap rocks! Smiley
All the Best,
Joe

IP Logged

Bob
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Joe,
I had asked Jack to carve an underwater scene with a diver going down for treasure and a sea creature attacking him from the back. This was his interpretation of that request. Today we started moving our display cases from storage to the fairgrounds. 7 trips total. We have two 6' see through cases and 3 12' long display cases as well as other specialty cases. Ours is a large show in two buildings so it is a lot of work but we have 325 members so there is a large pool of potential workers. I really enjoy writing articles for the magazine. It forces me to go beyond just common lapidary techniques with a different project each month.

Bob

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Wow! That is amazing!
Incredibly fine work and beautiful material.
Thanks for showing your work bench too!
Big sigh! I have a LONG way to go.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
My hat's off to you, Bob. I don't know where you find all the time!
325 members! That's a big club. I guess big clubs have big shows! Good Luck with it and Have Fun! Smiley
I can't get over Jacks' work! But I don't want to. I want to see all I can of it!  Wink

Looking forward to any questions you have about some of our east coast minerals and materials, when you get the time. And I have a few I want to post pictures of to see if you recognize.

Have a Great Weekend!
Talk Soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint