Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Greetings (Read 803 times)
Anna Helvie
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Greetings
Oct 12th, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
My name is Anna Helvie. My husband and I are retired and live in New Bern, NC. I've always been very interested in the natural sciences, but mostly I've explored wild and native plants. However, some visits to the Aurora Fossil Museum, and some findings along the local railroad tracks, have reawakened an old interest in rocks, minerals, and geology in general.

I've browsed around on this site, and I am surprised at the types of crystals and minerals found east of the mountains. I really had no idea there were quartz crystals in Raleigh and Durham, and other interesting specimens. I just found out we had granite in Pitt County at the Fountain Mine; I really thought all we had on the Coastal Plain was marl and limestone (which is cool, who doesn't love fossils).

There is something about the vast age that you can hold in your hand that is really intriguing. I'm working hard to come up to speed. At some point in the coming year, I'd like to visit some mines and rockhound sites. Thanks for having me.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Greetings
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Thank you for saying Hello and Welcome to the Board, Anna! Smiley
I hope we can be of some help, but we are All always learning.

The museums at Aurora are indeed little gemstones of NC Natural History and an excellent resource.
Another possibility is the Tar Heel Gem and Mineral Club here in Raleigh. They go to many of the quarries in the Eastern part of the state on fieldtrips which you may enjoy.

Happy Hunting,
Joe

IP Logged

Anna Helvie
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Greetings
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Thank you! I will look at the Triangle group!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint