Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Day 6 (Read 1100 times)
Digdug
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Day 6
Nov 23rd, 2020 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I have to double check the ratio of vinegar to soda. May have to start all over again but used to it lol we will see

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Re: Day 6
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Are you trying to make a stronger phosphoric acid?  Huh

IP Logged

Digdug
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression that real gold will not be affected by such I am trying to see if there is any gold in these pieces.

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Generally, to find gold inside a rock, you have to crush the rock. Unless you want to use caustic chemicals to dissolve the rock itself.

IP Logged

Rock8112

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
If you're looking for gold and you cant see any visible try crushing the stone to powder size like daves64 said, dont worry if there's gold, gold is very sectile, it will just smash flat, put a little dish soap in warm water and pan it out, another route is a fire assay if you think you're on to something, you can find someone online, they'll usually want a atleast 100grams of the material precrushed or they'll charge a crushing fee on top of the gold assay, dont just send the best material though, mix it up for more accuracy on how much gold is in the ore, costs run from 30$ to 70$ usually for just checking for Au.

IP Logged

Digdug
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Thank you that sounds like a reasonable solution. I would like to ask whom you would recommend to mail in the samples to?

IP Logged

Rock8112

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I would just Google gold assayers near me, you might have someone or someplace that does it so you don't have to mail it off but if not Google need gold assayer or where to get my gold ore assayed etc..you should find something. Personally, I would just break a piece off and crush it to powder or flour size and pan it out, gold assayer is more for if you found an ore body of good size but even then youd want to send a mix of ore samples to get a more accurate estimate of how much gold is in the ore.

IP Logged

CBDuke

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Go to the nearest community College physics dept.seeif they'll do a mass spectrometry on the sample.  Fire assay is expensive, check the mining history and see if there is a record of gold occurrence in that area. Here around Baltimore there're a couple of gold producing areas.  Most of the gold is locked up in pyrite,  some being50%gold. In the Columbia area there are large quartz veins with large amounts of pyrite. One  mine paid for the cost of mining with the gold they got from the pyrite. This mine is now deep under RT29 ,and the tailings were used to fill the pit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint