Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Just another quartz? (Read 818 times)
AprilW
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Just another quartz?
Sep 3rd, 2021 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
I found these in Johnston County NC. And proceeded to cut them.
I believe the first stone (images 1 and 2) is an iron banded quartz.

The second stone (photos 3-5)? Iron stained quartz? Dendritic quartz?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Just another quartz?
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Whaddaya mean 'Just another quartz'
Awesome job, April. Smiley
Very pretty cabochons. I'm surprised the Iron banded one came out so well. And, yes, Iron-banded and Iron-stained work just fine for me. There may be a 'better' more precise name for the layers in the Iron banded one but 'bands' works great.
The Iron stained one looks really nice. I really like the effect of the mottled quartz texture highlighted by the red stain.
Most of all, I am just super, super, delighted to see you experimenting with your found local rocks. And, I am assuming you have invested in some new equipment to work the rocks. Fantastic!

I know it is a lot more work trying to find pieces to work than it is just buying the perfect piece, but what you learn and 'doing it yourself' is the reward.
There is much more we could talk about concerning the local rocks, but you are doing GREAT, AWESOME! Thanks for the pictures and now you don't need to spend a bunch at the show this weekend! Cool

IP Logged

AprilW
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Thank you Joe.

Yes I did just get a new machine to cut with. I ended up buying myself a genie. It just arrived last week! Although I have had a flat lap for years.

I am exploring my new source of stones. These are different from the segregated quartz we spoke about earlier. And I was excited to find these quartz specimens to work with.

Hopefully I will find more in the coming months.

One question though. The iron stained quartz was not as vitreous as the banded quartz when I found it.

How do I determine what is a quartz vs a microcrystalline quartz when I am looking for stones in the wild? I maybe overthinking this, but just want to get my terminology right.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on the new machine! Looks like it works pretty good. Smiley
Yess, the terminology is confusing because of different names for the same thing.
MACROcrystalline quartz is all the quartz types and crystals we know and love like amethyst, smoky, citrine, and clear or rock crystal. Obvious quartz.

Around here you really want to study QUARTZITES as well, but the
MICROcrystalline quartzes are your agates, jaspers, cherts, etc.

MICROcrystalline quartz is the same as CRYPTOcrystalline and they are also called CHALCEDONY. 
The clear 'quartz' areas in agates, for example, are more commonly called Chalcedony than say a red jasper. Montana Moss agate is a good example of clear microcrystalline cryptocrystalline chalcedony. Wink
It helps to understand a little about the difference in formation of the rocks, but you'll develop an eye for the different microcrystalline rocks in your area. It's hard to realize how many rocks are different forms of quartz!
Here's a good link,
https://geology.com/rocks/flint-chert-jasper/

Have Fun! Keep us posted!

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
An easiest approach to recognizing the difference between macrocrystalline & crypto or microcrystalline is really simple.

Macro = large. ie: If you can see the individual crystals with the unaided, naked eye, that's macrocrystalline. The individual quartz points you've seen, or those in clusters are macro. I think even the Drusy quartz is classified as macro.

Crypto or Micro = small. ie: If you can only see the individual crystals using a microscope, that's cryptocrystalline. Agates, jasper, chert/flint, those are micro's. And, as Joe said, are usually called Chalcedony (a lot of the "powers that be" don't like the macro/micro/crypto labels apparently).

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Great work AprilW!  Can't wait to see future works.  Quartz is so diverse in variety, you could spend a lifetime chasing all the varieties. It's certainly my favorite mineral.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint