Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Botryoidal minerals in vesicular basalt. (Read 708 times)
daves64

Rockaholic

Botryoidal minerals in vesicular basalt.
May 10th, 2022 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Vesicular basalt, common in area's of volcanic activity & used frequently for railroad beds (but you already knew that). Anyhoo, found this particular piece this morning on my way in from work. It had some light colored shapes that caught my eye, so I picked it up. At first I thought recent biological in origin, but tapping them with another rock said otherwise. Some have ring bases that make them look kind of like hats. To give an idea of the size of these, the largest one in pics 3 & 4 is 2cm at the widest. Not sure exactly what they are, but I like them all the same. I can lightly scratch the largest one with a knife blade, so there's that. I'll try to remember to get some vinegar tomorrow to test for calcite, but I'm thinking they aren't that.

1_012.jpg ( 528 KB | 15 Downloads )
1_012.jpg
2_008.jpg ( 262 KB | 19 Downloads )
2_008.jpg
3_010.jpg ( 517 KB | 18 Downloads )
3_010.jpg
4_015.jpg ( 505 KB | 16 Downloads )
4_015.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Botryoidal minerals in vesicular basalt.
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2022 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Well dave, good eye and thanks for the pictures.
Man, surfing the internet for any 'real' scientific information has gotten a bit frustrating. Google quartz spheres in basalt and you get polished basalt spheres with lines of quartz in them for sale.

Anyway, I haven't found anything "conclusive" yet but am thinking they are some form of quartz first, and possibly feldspar second.
Reading about Cristobalite, the quartz that forms the "snowflakes" in obsidian, I did find this sentence,
"The more commonly observed habit is radiating clusters and spherical aggregates. "
So far, that would be my best guess.  Undecided

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2022 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
You might be right, although the serious lack of actual photos is a pain. And it explains why the vinegar I used may as well have been water for all the effect it had... other than making the thing smell like a pickle. Yet another form of silica. HHmmm... maybe they are eggs of a silica based life form..  Huh
The next pics are of a small area close to the spheres, but on another side of the broken vesicle/void. 1st one is with the dino-lites leds, 2nd, 3rd & 4th are with the leds shut off & using a hand held external led from 3 different angles. Creates completely different aspects of the same small area, but all 3 looks better than the original w/ straight on leds.  Shocked

5_015.jpg ( 679 KB | 15 Downloads )
5_015.jpg
6_010.jpg ( 690 KB | 15 Downloads )
6_010.jpg
7_013.jpg ( 720 KB | 15 Downloads )
7_013.jpg
8_010.jpg ( 733 KB | 18 Downloads )
8_010.jpg

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2022 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Nice pictures. We get a lot of rocks here in your last three pictures. Always wondered what it was.
Just found a rock that has that on one side of it.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2022 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
The hair really helps keep it in perspective.
Thanks for the pictures.  The middle pic of the three doesn't even look like the same rock!

Are you seeing much green olivine or peridot in your basalt host rock?

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2022 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Not seeing any green at all. So there either isn't any, or it's in such small amounts, that I haven't seen any. Mainly just gray with the sort of rusty patches that aren't actually rusty, as seen from the pics. I'll see about taking some overall pics in the morning after I get in from work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint