Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Raleigh, NC Rockhound (Read 150 times)
Vibrocker
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Raleigh, NC Rockhound
May 4th, 2023 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Hello All, I just started back tumbling after a long stop. I have rotate and vibratory tumblers. I am looking for places to go and source my own rocks instead of purchasing materiel. Any help with locations in the Raleigh, NC area?
Thanks,
Vibrocker Smiley

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Raleigh, NC Rockhound
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2023 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Welcome, Vibrocker.  Smiley
All the best with your renewed interest in tumbling. Patience is a virtue!
Rocks are where you find them but I would say the best Wake County spot for finding tumbling material would be the old tried and true House Creek. Lots of local agate, which is more of a light brown banded jaspagate. The easiest access is at Lake Boone Trail, but it also runs way in the back of the Art Museum property.
Good hunting!

IP Logged

Alina Rocks
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I'm new as well, I'll let you know if I find any neat local places, I'm relatively close, in Alamance County.

I haven't had a tock tumbler since I was a kid (Not a very nice one though lol). Do you for anything specific? It does seem satisfying.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the RHL Vibrocker. I wanted to get into tumbling a while back but I have already gone to far down the path with flat lapping and 8" expandable wheels. I wouldn't have room for any extra equipment unless I buy a new house.  Sad Yes, like Joe said, House creek would probably be the best place to go in Wake County. It's been a known locality for a long time so you may need a good eye to spot some good agate. Going a day or two after a very large rain storm or tropical storm would be the optimal scenario.  Wink

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint