Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic druzy and fossils from Girard, GA (Read 114 times)
rob23

RockHoundLounger

druzy and fossils from Girard, GA
Jun 12th, 2023 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
This is from chert in Girard, GA, aka Savannah River Agate, but I think it is chert.

fuji_008.JPG ( 469 KB | 16 Downloads )
fuji_008.JPG
fuji_009.JPG ( 482 KB | 14 Downloads )
fuji_009.JPG
fuji_013.JPG ( 469 KB | 17 Downloads )
fuji_013.JPG
fuji_036.JPG ( 444 KB | 9 Downloads )
fuji_036.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: druzy and fossils from Girard, GA
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2023 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Nice finds and great pictures, Rob, Thank You!
Very interesting and pretty quartz crystal cluster in the 3rd picture, and nice fossil in the last pic. Great place to rockhound, especially if you are looking for knapping material or artifacts.
Yes, folks would rather call it agate than chert, but you are correct and technically the formation is chert, even though some of it is definitely high grade enough to call agate. I think if you're in South Carolina it's called chert but in Georgia it's agate.  Wink
That huge outcropping on the Savannah River is called "Allendale Chert" and is part of the Coastal Plains Chert that outcrops here and there from southern Virginia, thru NC SC and GA and ends somewhere in Alabama. There's another big outcrop on the Flint River south of Atlanta, and guess what they call it. Yep, flint.  Smiley

I haven't been down there since they cleared it about 10 years ago. Glad you're checking it out!

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Re: druzy and fossils from Girard, GA
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2023 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Joe- So this material used to be submerged in the ocean, hence the bivalves, snails, etc? The white-ish material on the vast majority of the chert reminds me of coquina which backs up the oceanic environment. This is all way too cool, makes me want to play hooky from work and go digging around some more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint