Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Found big red and yellow rock (Read 150 times)
wegrorocks

RockHoundLounger

Found big red and yellow rock
Aug 5th, 2023 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
This is a rock I found sticking out of the ground and had to dig up, (JoeM, this the exception), it was 3/4 buried and I saw red rock so I dug it up. I found no other rocks within 3 feet of it. I think its red and yellow chert but would like someone else's opinion. Its about 1/2 yellow and 1/2 red and weighs about 80 lbs. I will get pics of each side in the sun tomorrow. Pics dry and wet with toe of boot for comparison.
Edited to add better pics of 3 sides and ask is the yellow part quartz?
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2023 at 2:47pm by wegrorocks »  

20230806_130103.jpg ( 5338 KB | 9 Downloads )
20230806_130103.jpg
20230806_130148.jpg ( 5635 KB | 6 Downloads )
20230806_130148.jpg
20230806_130439.jpg ( 5795 KB | 5 Downloads )
20230806_130439.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Found big red and yellow rock
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2023 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
That's a BIG pretty chunk-o-chert!  Thanks for the pictures!
The yellow end is closer to the natural color of the chert down there, but yellower. And the color on the red end looks like it's through and through the rock and not just surface color. The whole piece looks more agate-like than a lot of the chert down there, but I would still call it chert.
You'd need someone with a mighty big saw to cut a few slabs off that chunk but it would be very nice to see. Good looking rock! Smiley

IP Logged

wegrorocks

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2023 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
   Thank you so much JoeM!!! You have definitely earned your member status in my book!!!! I hauled this rock up to the house and put it by the front porch landing over 10 yrs ago and was never sure what is was. It sets off a metal detector wand, (I dont have regular detector), so I assume by reading the rock description section of the forum, I'm detecting Hematite. Is that a good guess?
I will have ask one of the many granite countertop businesses in Augusta if they will cut it.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2023 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Well, yes, the red and yellow colors are caused by Hematite and Iron Oxides, so I would imagine that's what's setting off your metal detector.
Iron-bearing minerals within most "hot rocks" will cause a metal detector to go off. These iron bearing minerals are predominately the iron oxides: magnetite, hematite, limonite, maghemite and lepidocrocite.

And you can try and ask at some of the countertop places about cutting but I doubt they will be able to. Most of their saws and equipment are geared toward cutting the large flat slabs of rock they get. I doubt they would even have a saw that could cut this monster. You'll need to find somebody with a lapidary slab saw and it would probably have to be atleast a 24" saw. Also, and I hate to say this, but if you really want to get it cut, it would most likely have to broken into smaller pieces to get in the saw. So, you might want to leave it whole. It's been doing a good job on the porch for the last 10 years as it is! Smiley

IP Logged

wegrorocks

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2023 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Thank you for iron oxide information. I would have never guessed that the yellow part would contain iron oxides. I've always thought of iron oxide as red or rust colored. Inside the natural holes of the rock, the walls are covered in minute Crystal's. The wife said it's going back where it was on the landing so, I guess that's that, lol

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2023 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Agreed! It was doing a fine job right where it was at!  Smiley

But yes, checking those natural holes, sometimes called "vugs", are what you want to do. Those "drusy" crystals are a good sign. That may be all there is in that outcrop, but it's a sign there could be more bigger and better. Some of that drusy is very pretty, too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint