Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Moby Chert - MOFO Chert (Read 442 times)
rob23

RockHoundLounger

Moby Chert - MOFO Chert
Aug 15th, 2023 at 8:58am
Print Post  
This thing is way bigger than I originally thought. I believe it is part of the bedrock. I had a 10 and 20lb sledge and it was like taking a teaspoon and tablespoon to an Abrams. Initially the rock the hammer contacted just shattered into small shards, thankfully I had a face shield. Once the frangible parts were gone the hammer just bounced off! There was a gunpowder-ish smell and smoke from the strike. The chert had a little white place where the hammer hit at and little else.

I did find a nice 'racing stripe' chert/agate and a couple of fossils while recovering from the big hammers. So it's gonna take a bit more than originally thought. Any advice would be great!

8-15moby_003.JPG ( 1034 KB | 11 Downloads )
8-15moby_003.JPG
8-15moby_004.JPG ( 1004 KB | 11 Downloads )
8-15moby_004.JPG
8-15moby_010.JPG ( 990 KB | 15 Downloads )
8-15moby_010.JPG
8-15moby_011.JPG ( 1022 KB | 12 Downloads )
8-15moby_011.JPG
8-15moby_012.JPG ( 920 KB | 11 Downloads )
8-15moby_012.JPG
8-15moby_013.JPG ( 840 KB | 9 Downloads )
8-15moby_013.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Moby Chert - MOFO Chert
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2023 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Quotes from Captain Ahab;

I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I’ll go to it laughing.

All my means are sane, my motive and my object mad.

Well, Captain, so the MoFo Moby Chert Whale is growing on you!  Cheesy

I'm sorry, I can't type while I'm chuckling so hard, but I kind of thought this might be the case. I'm just very glad you did not get hurt in the process. That rock is some serious sharp stuff!

So, if you tell someone that has done some flint knapping that there is an ART to busting rock, they will know what you mean. But if you tell someone that has never done any knapping they won't have a clue what you mean. But, YES, there is an ART to it! Even with a 20 lb sledge.
If you just start beating on a rock and hope that it breaks, then you will pulverize it into little chips, shards, and powder. You have to plan how to reduce that rock. The force of your blow is to knock a piece off the side. Shear it. Dig all around the rock and find weak spots. Empty voids and cracks that you can try and use as a break away spot at the end of the crack you are going to make with a blow from your hammer. It ain't rocket science but it does take some figuring, and there's a whole lot more to it than just beating on rock with a hammer.
Now that you have discovered that Moby is actually just the top of the chert bedrock peeking out, you may decide to move on to greener pastures. But, you have dug a good opening. There are hollow areas all thru the chert bedrock. If you dig all around that outcrop you may find a way to pursue reduction. But instead of trying to "break the rock", try knocking a 6" wide piece off the outer edge, and maybe work your way in that way. You want the force of your blow to cleave a piece off, rather than send a crack through the whole thing.
It's too dang hot now anyway!
Be careful down there, and thanks for the pics!

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Aye, I'll be taking the Pequod out again.....when it's not a hundred and eleventeen degrees. Digging margins is really tough due to the amount of rock in the dirt. That and the heat equaled a marginal effort.

I did get some of those voids off that were on the outside margins. The frangible areas on the very top I think can be taken off intact with a chisel separating the rock where the cleavage is. The excavation around it needs to wider as the impact of the sledge caused the dirt to fall back down where I had just dug it up. It also changed the program I was listening to in my earbuds.

I'll be going back to work it some more, but only when the weather has moderated a lot! The heat did get to me, should have known better. By the calendar I'm in my 60's, my brain thinks I'm in my 20's, and my body thinks I'm 80. Can't play in those temps like I used to.

Thanks for the advice-

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2023 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
" By the calendar I'm in my 60's, my brain thinks I'm in my 20's, and my body thinks I'm 80. Can't play in those temps like I used to."

That's it in a nutshell, my friend. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint