Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic fossils (Read 218 times)
rob23

RockHoundLounger

fossils
Oct 11th, 2023 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Found these in Girard. Names for the fossils would be welcomed.

some_fossil_006.JPG ( 1002 KB | 6 Downloads )
some_fossil_006.JPG
some_fossil_007.JPG ( 975 KB | 3 Downloads )
some_fossil_007.JPG
some_fossil_021.JPG ( 1011 KB | 4 Downloads )
some_fossil_021.JPG
some_fossil_022.JPG ( 921 KB | 5 Downloads )
some_fossil_022.JPG
some_fossil_008.JPG ( 1054 KB | 3 Downloads )
some_fossil_008.JPG
some_fossil_012.JPG ( 1020 KB | 6 Downloads )
some_fossil_012.JPG
some_fossil_013.JPG ( 973 KB | 3 Downloads )
some_fossil_013.JPG
some_fossil_014.JPG ( 989 KB | 6 Downloads )
some_fossil_014.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: fossils
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2023 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
As always, rob, thanks for the pictures. You have a good eye for these little anomalous features in the chert and I, for one, appreciate getting to see them. As far as a "positive" identification goes, I can only provide guesses.
I was thinking maybe the 'age' of the chert might be a route to identification of some of the fossils, but that hasn't worked out to be much of a short-cut. Interesting reading though. Wink
Speaking of interesting reading, if you Google, "pictures of fossils in chert", you will discover a rabbit hole of epic proportions. I have spent a few evenings now stumbling from one link to another. All very interesting stuff.

Tonight's  excursion bears mention. Roll Eyes
Absolutely nothing to do with "fossils in chert" but something I was ready to read.  A great little article that sums up evolution on our planet and our arrival in the Anthropocene in a nice concise package.
It's a 30 minute read, so check it out when you have time, if you want, but it's something I think everybody could stand to read.

https://humanorigins.si.edu/research/age-humans-evolutionary-perspectives-anthro...

We'll get back to the chert, just trying to find a Field Guide or something! Wink

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Joe, thanks for the link. I'm familiar with that site as I was an anthropology major in my off and on 30 years of attending college. Anthropology is for people who love science but can't do math.

I did some of that chert googling and saw stuff sorta like what I've found but no exact matches. I reckon the geography may have something to do with it.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Good to know, rob, that article was right down your alley. I thought it was a good synopsis of how we got here. It answers a lot of questions and introduces many more.

Yes, I have had the same problem with identification of those fossils. Almost look a likes. And of course we are dealing with mostly fragments and sections of fossils. I agree that geography and age probably is also a factor. But that's what makes it so much fun! Smiley

If we can't find a publication, or "Field Guide", with pictures and names of the various fossils in that coastal plain chert, you might have enough pictures and samples to publish one, so keep up the good work! Cool

Ya know, when I first started looking at archaeology and geology I'd go to the state offices and some local universities and pester the professionals until they started hiding under their desks when they saw me coming. Cheesy

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
When I was four we left Texas for Washington as dad got a job at Boeing. We lived in an apartment in Renton, and Mt. Ranier was in my bedroom window, every morning it wasn't raining it was lit in golden sunlight and I thought it was the most beautiful thing ever.

My kindergarten teacher told us Ranier was a volcano. So for a while I thought every mountain was a volcano. Then I learned they weren't, but nobody could tell me why some were and some were not. When I was eight I got a book for xmas that was all about biomes and the animal and plant life that lived in each and the second half of the book was geology. I discovered continental drift and tectonics which explained why were some mountains were volcanic and some were not.

I also discovered I had a hidden learning disability that limited by math ability, including having dyscalculia, the number version of dyslexia. Science subjects like physics and chemistry I just cannot solve, so I opted for anthropology as its relatively math free. Unfortunately the core curriculum has chemistry as a subject I had to take, and I could never pass it so I never got the degree. Then at age 52 I learned why with the LD diagnosis. I have no idea why I just barfed all that up.

grard_001.JPG ( 950 KB | 3 Downloads )
grard_001.JPG
grard_003.JPG ( 1009 KB | 3 Downloads )
grard_003.JPG
grard_004.JPG ( 1023 KB | 4 Downloads )
grard_004.JPG

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Couple more from Girard. I'm really starting to like it there....

sunday_008.JPG ( 999 KB | 4 Downloads )
sunday_008.JPG
sunday_009.JPG ( 992 KB | 5 Downloads )
sunday_009.JPG
sunday_010.JPG ( 992 KB | 3 Downloads )
sunday_010.JPG
sunday_011.JPG ( 999 KB | 3 Downloads )
sunday_011.JPG
sunday_012.JPG ( 980 KB | 4 Downloads )
sunday_012.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Well I am very glad to hear that! Smiley
It is a fascinating environment to explore and you are making great progress! There are definitely some major hurdles to get over as far as a positive identification,(ID), goes for your upcoming E-book publication, Wink, but none that should be insurmountable and the research ought to be interesting enough to keep you on the track.

At some point you will probably have to pester some of the professionals in the field in your area for exact species names, but these are largely fossil shapes that we are familiar with and somewhat recognize. Age and depth of the formations has already been a very interesting study to me. And we know it's the Atlantic Ocean and not the Pacific. (HA)

For instance, an initial guess, the group of 'tubular' looking shells in your first picture of the three in your post just before this one look like they ought to be one of the 750-1200 different species of "Scaphopoda, or Tusk Shell.  (In the long haul you will probably need to collect more than one specimen of each because you may have to cut some in two for positive ID's.) Age will be a big factor in species ID but, like I said, atleast we know what ocean. And I have not found anything about them growing in 'clusters' like that?
Here's a link;
https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/taxa/inverts/mollusca/scaphopoda.php

And your last three pictures in this last post look like a species of a common snail shell named Buccinum. Very interesting reading on their formation. When that chert formed it was A LOT deeper than it looks today!
https://inverts.wallawalla.edu/Mollusca/Gastropoda/Prosobranchia/Order_Neogastro...

Always Shake Well! Cool

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Mostly I never know what I've found until I get it home and clean it up. Even taking a bucket with some water and a handful of brushes with me to the site won't always reveal some of the more interesting stuff. That mud and dirt is so packed into every crevice and crack that even a pressure washer and/or a hand held steam cleaner won't clear everything. I've purloined a nice collection of dental instruments too.

E-book? Hmmmm..... we'll see.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint