Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lortone!! Harbor Freight! (Read 217 times)
rob23

RockHoundLounger

Lortone!! Harbor Freight!
Mar 23rd, 2024 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Don't know how many people tumble here, or if anyone else had heard, but Lortone is closing and Harbor Freight is discontinuing the Chicago Electric tumbler. I've got a couple of the Lortone 3A's and I really like them. I've also got the HF double that's had some modifications. So far, after nine months I've had no trouble with it. Incidently, JoAnn's has filed for bankruptcy.

What does this say about the state of this hobby? Equipment is danged expensive and unfortunately disposable income in my case and I have very little of that. I'm curious what others think about this.

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Re: Lortone!! Harbor Freight!
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 8:06am
Print Post  
I have a lortone too. Really like it have it going right now.
My H.F. burned up in just under a year.
I guess if you can find a Lortone you like buy it and stash it.
I would like to buy now but spent too much this month on food and woodcutting equipment. So maybe in a month or two I can come up with something.
There is a lot of good ideas out there making your own tumbler that will run several barrels at a time with different sized barrels. More heavy duty built. Just need to have the barrels on hand.

Michigan Rocks has a good Youtube video on a home made tumbler with several barrels going at one time.

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Go to Rock Tumbling Hobby and read up on the different tumblers. There is information/subject on how to build the whole set up for rock tumbling. Just search for what you would like to build.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Yes, Rob, it gets expensive quick!
That is all great advice from ID. The best tumblers I know use homemade equipment. But still, parts are going to wear out and you have to find or make replacements. I long ago stopped thinking about making any 'extra' money doing 'rock work' and what I do make goes right back into keeping me able to enjoy the hobby.
Lortone started going out of business several years ago. They stopped making cab machines and their larger saws and just kept selling tumblers and 10" saws. Now they're out of business. I have three Lortone saws, 2 18" and a 12". Supposedly I can still order parts from them but they are made in China, ie; made by our competition. A few years ago when Lortone first discontinued selling the larger saws I ordered 4 bearings for the two 18" saws. Two bearings in each saw and I needed to replace the ones in one of the saws, and got a couple extras while at it. One of the new bearings came with defects that made it unusable and one of the bearings I installed went bad in less than 2 months. So much for having any extras.
I have a real question about buying parts from the competition?

I want to avoid a rant about the "market" but I can't. China and India have flooded the market. Selling carved agate Angels and Dolphins for $1.00 each that I would have to charge $100.00 or more for if I made them myself. And cabochons 2 for $1.00! We can compete with them on everything but labor. End rant.

There are still equipment suppliers out there. Diamond Pacific, Covington, Kingsley North, and Canada, but yes it is an investment.

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
ID and Joe, thanks. Honestly, I'm the most inept mechanically inclined human on the planet. Replacing a latch on a screen door resulted in a trip to the ED for stitches. Building a tumbler... orbital velocity achieved.... Or I'll put my eye out, maybe both.

I saw some tumblers on the Highland Park site that look just like Lortone/Tumble Bee but with direct drive brushless motors. Those might be a good investment. I do have three Thumlers, two AR-1's and one Model T along with the HF and Lortones. Only one tumbler, the HF was bought new. The rest are used but work well.

What's the demographics of a rockhound? Older, white, mostly male? I went to the Augusta/Aiken rock show a couple of weeks ago and that's what I saw. Lot's of white hair and skin. Getting the younger people involved might help things, don't really know though.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Well, Rob, I'd say typically speaking you got the demographic down, although there are a lot of women collectors, too. But, yes, the collectors at those shows do seem to be the older generation.

Maybe a lot of younger collectors are just purchasing their rocks online? Maybe there aren't that many younger collectors? Maybe they're just waiting to inherit Grandpa's collection? And a lot of folks these days just don't have room for a rock collection. Seems the biggest group buying specimens these days are for metaphysical benefits, whatever that is?
I feel another rant coming on so I better sign off now.  Cheesy

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
JoeM wrote on Mar 25th, 2024 at 5:17pm:
Well, Rob, I'd say typically speaking you got the demographic down, although there are a lot of women collectors, too. But, yes, the collectors at those shows do seem to be the older generation.

Maybe a lot of younger collectors are just purchasing their rocks online? Maybe there aren't that many younger collectors? Maybe they're just waiting to inherit Grandpa's collection? And a lot of folks these days just don't have room for a rock collection. Seems the biggest group buying specimens these days are for metaphysical benefits, whatever that is?
I feel another rant coming on so I better sign off now.  Cheesy

For metaphysical benefits, I take a multi-vitamin daily.

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Metaphysical benefits...... magical thinking.....woo...... B.S. Could that be the direction you were heading, Joe?

OH! Dropped my peacock stone.....

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Lips Sealed Huh Undecided Kiss

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Joe's not into that metaphysical stuff, he's too down to earth. Just ignore the palm stones & incense scattered around his house. Means nothing..  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 10:53am
Print Post  
It's true, Dave, I trip over all the 'palm stones' around here and I do love to create a creative atmosphere with a lot of incense. As for being 'down to Earth', I'd say I am a little more subterranean than that. Wink

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:39am
Print Post  
If a quartz crystal or peacock stone or anything else actually worked I'd look like a walking fancy chandelier clinking and tinking away. Alas, it takes prescriptions derived from various fungi, snake venom, dopaminergics, and opium just to get by. All legally prescribed, of course.

Collecting rocks is a great BP medication. Good for depression and anxiety too.

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 7:40am
Print Post  
rob23, go over to Highland Park.
They have tumblers that look just like lortone's and cheaper.
That'll be my next tumbler when I can save up.

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Highland Park
Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
ID, I have seen those and they do look really nice. I like the idea of a direct drive motor, too. I'm definitely thinking about those in near future and staying far away from the Nat.Geo and other tumblers of that ilk.

I look at the Salvation Army auction site and I'd say a good 80%of the tumblers they have are the Nat.Geo hobby and   professional tumblers.

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Buy once and cry once.
I prefer new on the tumblers and then I know what I have.
I burned up the nat geo and won't buy another. Mine was a see if I liked doing it before buying a quality one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint