Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Introduction (Read 2793 times)
John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Introduction
Jun 15th, 2011 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
My name is John Frazier. I have been collecting for about 40 plus years.  Main interest include: minerals of NC, garnets, inclusions in crystals, meteorites and natural history in general. I grew up in Randleman, NC.  But I live in Lenoir, NC.

Since I retired, I work for a gem dealer from Atlanta part time plus help my Mom with her gem and mineral shop in Banner Elk, NC.  I am normally in Raleigh for the club show each year.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Introduction
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Welcome John, Glad to have you aboard!

Hope to see some pics of those NC minerals you have
and the Garnets sound interesting too.
I didn't know you were from Randleman. I'm still kicking
myself for not getting down there when they were building the
new dam(n), but the Tar Heel club is doing a fieldtrip to one
of the old abandoned quarries in that area Sat., June 25.
I'll have to get you an exact location, but any ideas what to
be looking for in quarries there?

Joe

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Welcome John.  I've always had a very strong interest in meteorites myself, even buying a book that indicated strewn fields.  However, I've never found the time or to go looking for any myself.  I would purchase one, but I would have one that I found myself.  Well, glad to have you at the RHL.  Looking forward to seeing some pictures of things you have collected in the last 40 years!

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
btw Scott...I came home with a small baggie of L4 Chondrite Meteorites from Gold Basin, AZ. I personally found 2 while I was out there and my dad gave me some of his. I'm sure there's one in there somewhere with your name on it.

-Dave

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Dave would like to hear more about your hunt at Gold Basin. I have always wanted to go on a hunt at Gold Basin.  I am at the Tucson Show each year but never seem to have time after the show to go on a hunt.  I am going to attach a pic of a thin section of Gold Basin under polarized light.  In addition to meteorites, I also collect thin sections to study and just enjoy their beauty.

Gold-Basin-L6-044.jpg ( 78 KB | 92 Downloads )
Gold-Basin-L6-044.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I can see why.  That thin section has a lot going on.  That would look great on my wall.  Wink

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 7:19am
Print Post  
That's one way to "cut-down" the size of your collection!

Sorry, I just had to. Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 8:14am
Print Post  
John,

That's incredible! As far as the hunt, don't have much to report. The main goal of trips to Gold Basin are for gold. My first trip there back in hmm...2006 maybe?...yielded my first gold nugget with a metal detector, a 1.34 gram piece. At the time I wouldn't have been surprised if I threw away a "hot rock" or two.

Since that time, my dad has swing over 20 or so meteorites. This last trip I was swinging a detector for 2 hours or so and came across 2 small ones (havn't weighed yet) The one I have is very interesting, it has visible nickel, fusion crust and some chondrites, but there are also what appear to be quartz or feldspar fused to it, I assume from the impact. I'll hold onto these and hope to run into you soon. I've got one that looks,feels,and has to be a meteorite, but it has a different look than any of the other ones we've found there. My dad said he thought he had read some literature on speculation of a 2nd event (different type) out there at Gold Basin, but I havn't researched it yet.

Do you have any NC meteorites? read once about a field down by Bragg/Fayetteville.

-Dave

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 8:16am
Print Post  
btw...the rock shop..is that the little bear? I've always wanted to stop in there, I hear there's some nice older NC material stashed away. Lots of old crabtree maybe?
I was in school in Boone and drove past the sign several times, its tucked away off of 194 right?

-Dave

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Dave it is Little Bear Rock Shop / Sheer Bliss.  We do have some interesting NC specimens.  Something that we just got is a set of bookends made out of Crabtree material.  Don't think I have ever seen another set of bookends made out of Emeralds in matrix. Hope you will get to visit the shop.  You will enjoy my Mom.  She is  really an  amazing person and one of the great gifts in my life.

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Dave, I do have three NC meteorites.  They are hard to come by as most are in collections for museums. I have Monroe, Castalia and Farmville.  Monroe is fairly easy to get but Castalia and Farmville are hard to get.  My Farmville came from the Smithsonian via a trade to another collector that sold some slices.  We have not had a meteorite found in NC since the 1930s.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint