Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unakite Hunt - Rose River near Syria, Virginia (Read 46718 times)
Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Unakite Hunt - Rose River near Syria, Virginia
Reply #30 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Laurie is correct about the unakite of course.  However the red parts of the dull green and red rocks I referred to are not feldspar. The dull red appears to be some meta-volcanic rock that is as tough as the epidotized meta-volcanic material, and is abundant in the Rose River compared to the less common unakite.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #31 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Saprolite is indeed rotten rock, but I don't remember if it includes the more solid than clay but fractured, or crumbly, rock. I got the term from my Geology 101 professor years ago. (101 is as far as I got) He used the term to describe anything that held promise for finding minerals and crystals.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #32 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I saw some amazing saprolite prospecting a friend's farm in Charlotte County several weeks ago. The area outcrops were schist, I think partly on its way to gneiss due to distinct banding. I was looking for pegmatite sign, of which a little was seen in one plowed spot, and investigating what the landowner guessed was "black lava" but was really a layer of conglomerated black nodules (likely iron or magnesium ore as found in general region) and quartz fragments.  He had cut a drainage trench and had to break through the hard layer of nodules about 18" below surface. The layer overlaid red clay and quartz in some areas. But elsewhere it overlaid what looked exactly like the schist outcrops -- until you took a trowel or shovel to it!  It cut like butter but retained all the coloring and layering of the schist outcrops. Cool.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Hard, heavy ores with metallic minerals often produce minerals and crystals, but could never be called saprolite, so your professor's definition is bogus.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #34 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I'm  sure I'm over-generalizing what he said, and I certainly don't remember exactly what he spoke back in 1977.  He likely said something like, rotten rock is among places  to find minerals,  and a good sign that you might find something interesting.  But what stuck with me was his glee in describing the hunt.

IP Logged

lagniappe
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #35 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Laurie. It's been ages since I've been here. I've very familiar with Unakite. I've been using it in jewelry making for at least 10 years.

The green with red spots, I'll have to post some photos of my own. I thought unakite was always pink and not red. What I picked up in the Rose river looked like Greenstone with (when wet) blood red spots in it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint