Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic new hound to your site (Read 1416 times)
Pahound
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

new hound to your site
Jul 29th, 2012 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
hello all, my name is ryan i moved to NC this year due to my job. Im from pennsylvania . little on me i ve been picking things up and putting them in my pockets since i can remember... my first mineral find was a small pyrite cube in a camp grounds near cornwall pa . i may have been 5 or so ?? anyways as i got older i never stopped picking things up or looking down. in 1998 i got a construction job which took me around the east coast i started looking on job sites .... in 2004 i got into the quarry end of it all i meet up with a fellow named bob and he and i took over cornwall iron mine ... he over saw the operation of the quarry and i fixed the things he broke.... a tall skinny fellow one day came to the quarry asking to look around and told us of all these great minerals this quarry could produce... his name was skip so long story short myself bob and skip would meet up in the quarry over the months and find great thing s... skip had a collectiong buddy named scott we meet up with him one day at the quarry... from that day on it was the 4 of us ....4 guys with the love of the hunt !!! as a four man crew we have been able to get into the pa record books for minerals..new mineral finds and donations to local colleges and museums came to be a regular for us ....i will never forget those days and finds with the guys !!!! now here in nc its hard for me i dont know anyone and dont even know where to start looking... i go home to pa now and then and meet up with the guys and collect and still find great things !!! im hoping to meet up with some ppl here to keep the love of mineral collecting alive for me .... Smiley  ps i have close too 200 pieces of tourmaline so i guess that would be my fav mineral next to garnets and fossils  Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: new hound to your site
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Well that seems like quite an adventure you have had.  You have done the best thing to keep that adventure going by posting here.  Networking with other Rockhounds is the way to go.  There are many great things to be found in NC and it should not take you long to find some of these great locations.  Try looking up the Little Pine garnet mine if you like garnets.  Castle Hayne for fossils.  We have tourmaline but mostly schorl.  We have lots of good quartz here too.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Thanks for introducing yourself, Ryan. Smiley
It sounds like you have had pretty much the ideal situation
in PA. Being able to access good mineral producing quarries is
hard to beat. There are several quarries in NC that are known
to produce great specimens. Getting access to them is another
story. And then there are many quarries that produce nothing
but gravel.
As Scott said, you are on the right track by posting here.
There are alot of good specimen producing locations in NC
and we'll have to see about getting you to some of them.

Joe

IP Logged

Pahound
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
thank you scott and joe for saying hi ,, joe you and i have meet im sure you know who i am ... i joined your tar heel mineral club and was at the last meeting ..... scott i have yet to meet you but if i remember right you and joe are buddies ....joe i left you a message yesterday about some site s did you get a chance to look at them ?? yeah i had it very good in pa i had and still have keys and access to most of the quarries  back home  Smiley starting all over again sucks  Undecided..... anyways i hope to find great things soon

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Sounds like we need to make a trip to the Burgin ASAP.

Going to send you an e-mail, Ryan.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Well Ryan, look at it this way -- your not really "starting over" completely.  You have loads of experience finding and extracting minerals.  The only thing you need is locations to go and extract NC minerals.  Once there you should be right at home and may even show us a thing or two.

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Ryan you sound like an interesting collector.  I think you will fit right in with Joe and Scott. They are both incredible folks.  But don't tell them I said anything nice...lol Welcome to the Lounge. Smiley Cheesy

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Hey Scott, I think if we charge Ryan one piece of tourmaline
for every location we take him to that sounds about right.
Don't it to you. Wink Cool Grin

Ryan,
Sent you an e-mail today about going to Burgin this Sunday.
I need to hear from you so we can make arrangements with
Mr. Burgin if you want to go.
Joe

IP Logged

Pahound
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
yes joe count me in !!!! ill try my hand at digging for quartz xl s .... im not used to digging in the mud for minerals but i gotta learn .... im used to looking at quarry walls... looking for veins and mineralization with in the walls .... but i do pick things up quickly soooo we ll just have to see what the mineral gods have for me  Smiley  thanks john for saying hi ..... as far as the charge of my tourmaline i dont know about all that guys the site would have to be really good from me to give those up  Wink  hope to see ya ll sunday am

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Allright, Great Ryan. Smiley Sunday it is.
I'll call you tomorrow, Thursday, and get your address and we
can go over details.
Since this is a pay site and your first time out with us, I think
we can skip the tourmaline fee this time. Cheesy

Looking forward to it,
Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint