Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Greetings from western PA (Read 733 times)
hurricanewg
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Greetings from western PA
Aug 26th, 2012 at 7:43am
Print Post  
First, thank you to the creators of this very informative site. Since childhood I have enjoyed the thrill of discovering the history offered to us by the environment.  The majority of my life was spent on the family farm (half a century actually), where the plowing of the fields meant new history would come to the surface each spring. Changing times took the farm from us and we moved to a home on a lake. The first spring came and there were no plowed fields to explore, no ravines to investigate. So I took a walk along the open lands along the lake and river with the intent of picking up trash before the rains raised the lake level (life long Boy Scout influence). Well along with the broken glass, cans and assorted junk there was treasure!  Rainbow of chert colors, Flint Ridge material, and ARTIFACTS. Now after three seasons I have collected 25 big bags of trash, numerous buckets of broken glass along with being able to photograph/ document many artifacts and historical sites. The quest was on again! Part of my enjoyment of finding items is figuring out their place in history, which the internet is a useful tool for. However connecting with experienced  individuals with the same interest is a far greater source of information.....and a lot more fun!

IMG_2319.JPG ( 381 KB | 49 Downloads )
IMG_2319.JPG

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Greetings from western PA
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Excellent introduction hurricane.  It is good that you have found this site with the intention to learn.  Joe will be a great resource when it comes to artifacts -- he will chime in very soon. That is a very nice find in your photo.  It is great to know there are people who are concerned with the preservation of both environment and history.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Yes, Welcome to the board, hurricane. Smiley
Glad your move worked out for you.
Ofcourse, it's always nice to find something while out on a walk,
but I've always felt the best part of walkin' is the walkin'. Wink

That is a nice point you've pictured there. Around here that
would be called a classic Corner-notched Kirk and date to
the Early Archaic, circa 7000 BC. I know there are alot of
folks up your way that would also call it a Kirk, but there
may be other more local names for that type, too.
Looks like it has an impact fracture to the point that
traverses down the left side in pic of the point.

Keep us posted and many good walks to you,
Joe

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Welcome Hurricane! I am very happy to hear that other people pick up the trash besides the treasure. I walk shorelines too and it is so disconcerting to see broken glass and even worse huge, mean fishing lures.
I am sure this will seem weird, but what is the point resting on in the photo? Very very nice find, by the way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint