Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Possible Trip (Read 1125 times)
RockNerd
Ex Member

Possible Trip
Nov 7th, 2012 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
So I have been wanting to plan a trip to explore and find gems and such...Ok so it has been eating at me alive I want to go so bad..Any suggestions for a beginner like me on where to go?

IP Logged

Chemfreak
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Possible Trip
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Don't go out digging right now because it is deer hunting season. If you do go, go on a Sunday. Besides that it all depends on what you want to dig. There are pay sites and there are other sites that you can dig. Those sites are typically kept secret and not announced on the internet. Try doing some google searching and looking around your own area and see what you can find. Good luck!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Wish I could help, but I'm not familiar with the TN area.  Rebecca might know a few places though.

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 10:48am
Print Post  
I am looking for anything right now...I know a few places around here but would like to go to NC to find a little better selection.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Rebeca - If you are in eastern TN there are literally scores of good collecting sites in western NC. Rick from MAGMA put out an excellent book on collecting localities. There's the Ray Mine, Chunky Gal corundum, and many localities around Franklin. If you pass through central NC, stop by the shop and I'll point you in the direction of some decent sites in my area. Good luck! Oh, watch out for the hunters!

IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 6:45am
Print Post  
I have one book called Southeast Treasure Hunter's Gem and Mineral Guide and so far Franklin looks to be where we are heading tomorrow..I am wanting somewhere we can actually dig..I took the family to a place where we could sluice and was very upset about what they ended up with..Shards of gems which my kids say were glass..Not one good size specimen..That is why I am asking for suggestions so I do not make that mistake again.

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Here is a place in franklin, i have never been there but i have heard good things.
http://www.masonsmine.com/

here is another place http://www.wncrocks.com/resources/Collecting%20site%20mason%20staurolite1.html

IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Thank you very much..The Mason Mine will be a stop to make while we are that way for sure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint