Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wake County Corundum Deposit (Read 1870 times)
Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Wake County Corundum Deposit
Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Well, i didnt get my itch scratched and propst is probably a little far for me to make out to over thanksgiving break but i would like to get some searching in.  Does anyone have any experience with barton creek?  I spent several hours last night trying to find the perfect place to go exploring and that area near falls lake seems to be the most commonly referenced area besides purnell and bayleaf but they are all relativity close together. 

If anyone has some experience with the area and wants to share their secrets i am all ears. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Re: Wake County Corundum Deposit
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Mark, the rubies in chromite matrix that we collected in the past few years were from near Barton's Creek, but this place is depleted.  There are old references and anecdotal evidence of other other possible corundum sites ibn this area, but I have no specific data on the exact spots.  At the boat ramp at Bartons Creek you can find soapstone, small plates of drusy quartz, and masses of green actinolite crystals.  Most are kinda drab, but occaisionally a very nice piece is found.  I'll show you sometime when I'm down that way if you don't find it.

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks laurie, i will probably head out there tomorrow or this weekend sometime.  If it doesn't go well i found an area today by wake tech that is promising.  I told you about the small druzy pieces in the creek but today i made a new little discovery down there but didn't get much time to investigate as i had class.  In one section of the woods in a large-ish pile of quartz and they can be found scattered around the woods in a few places, i assume it was from grading for the parking lots.  The quartz pile though shed some light on possible things going on in the area.  There was a large piece that had slight crystallization of the quartz and was much "brighter?" than the rest of the quartz in the pile.  On one side of the quartz was a contact with a mica schist, some of it was still stuck to it.  In the area where the contact zone was there a small limonite cluster, and another mineral of which i am unfamiliar.  I am pretty sure it is an iron mineral (metallic, black, slight sheen, flat, 6 sided,  not mica ) but am not sure.  Continuing on with the story though the creek forms several switch backs across a mica schist that is running perpendicular to the stream and in places quartz can be found running in small seams in the schist.  There is still a lot of creek there to explore and a fresh construction site that i believe will intersect the mica schist about 300 yards down the road.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
That sounds pretty promising mark, go for it!  At the boat ramp, if the lake is full, the drusy quartz and the best of the actinolite will be a couple feet under water.  It just depends on the lake level.  The soapstone, some of it of good carving quality, is found in several small outcrops, some on the small "road/path" that runs down from the parking area.  I'm sure Scott and Joe have been there many times and may be able to help as well.  Keep lookin" buddy.

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Mark,
If you head down the lake from old 98 (where it dips into the water) and continue onto the point I have seen some nice small quartz plates come off the shoreline.  It will depend on water level.  I have also been warned to not collect on state park property. 

You should hit garnet valley sometime.  Ask Joe or Scott for directions, I would just get you lost.  I have picked up some actinolite from around the lake above the parking lot along old 98.  Not real exciting looking but it is neat to have picked it up.  You can see where folks have dug.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Mark,

If your looking for corundum, give me a call if you want to come down to Rockingham. I went to the Blewett Falls site a few days ago where I'd found large masses of xlline corundum there in the past and found an egg sized yellow/bluish mass lying in the road bed. These aren't distinct xls but rather chunky masses with a few xlline faces here and there. If you go to corundiminum.com there is a piece that I gave Will on his site that he lab tested and confirmed to be corundum. There is also suppose to be garnet nearby that a hunter friend told me about that if I can pull him away from the deer stand, he promised to take me too. The color of this corundum ranges from pale blue gray to white/yellow. I don't know anything about the Raleigh rubies but got a nice piece from Laurie once.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint