Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Using Iron Out (Read 11067 times)
RockNerd
Ex Member

Using Iron Out
Nov 23rd, 2012 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Ok trial and error is not correcting itself when I am using Iron Out...My stuff still comes out looking gray..What is the ratio of it to water so my stuff doesn't look worse then before I clean it?

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Using Iron Out
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Usually about 1 cup per gallon is enough.  Soaking for two days is also usually enough.  Are you sure the "grey" is a stain or possibly the color of the rock?

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
So far everything I have put in it has come out that color even if it started out red...black..white...I let soak for 3 hours at a time then wash them very well and they all turned grey...I thought maybe I had been soaking them too long so I tried an hour...then 30 minutes...but still same results...I have a quartz cluster given to me and it has some stuff on top I do not like because it covers the crystals but was afraid to soak it incase it did the same thing.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
It depends on what you are cleaning.  Some specimens will be ruined in Iron-out or any other chemical,  Most carbonates can be dulled by acids, or destroyed.  It will not hurt quartz.  Most specimens are best cleaned with water and a brush.  I talked to one person who Iron-outed everything!  He wasted a lot of money and ruined many specimens.I only use about half a cup per gallon and for me that is a very strong solution, most times a quarter cup is plenty.   Use less and let it soak longer.  Hot water works much better, taking less time and acid. If the water turns yellow, pour it out and rinse the specimens.  No need to waste expensive Iron-out, it doesn't take much.  What were you cleaning?  Did you thouroughly scrub them in advance?  Make sure you know what the acid will do to your specimen before you use it, unless it's just junk (then why clean it at all?).

IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I am wanting to clean the calcite cluster I found which has been soaking in soapy water for 2 days now being changed daily as well as a quartz cluster that was given to me...I do not want to use a harsh acid on it because it has yellowish orange and black on the bottom which I kinda like the look of but some type of crust on top tho.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Iron out is a mild acid.  It will probably not damage the calcite if you use a weaker solution.  What minerals did you iron-out that turned grey?

IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I had some white quartz rocks I wanted to clean to place in vases and also some agate.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I can't fathom how a 3 hour soak in iron out could turn white quartz grey.  A total mystery to me.  Seems like there must have been a lot of clay or other material on the quartz, otherwise it doesn't seem possible.

IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Where my husband found them at was on a job site in NC and the gentleman he worked for said it was quartz...but then he also brought home what he called soapstone which looked nothing like the other rock...so now makes me wonder what it is.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Post a picture of the "grey" rocks so we can try and figure out whats going on if you can.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 8:52am
Print Post  
These all started out white with some tinge on them and were glossy looking and now they look like this
http://i.imgur.com/O1X1U.jpg1
http://i.imgur.com/zPc5b.jpg1
http://i.imgur.com/soiP1.jpg1
http://i.imgur.com/771Rs.jpg1

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
When I first used Iron Out, I ruined some rocks. My mixture was too strong, and the water too hot when I put the rocks in. It kind of crazed them like old pottery, and turned the quartz grey. I think I "burnt" them, sort of.  Now, I use a very weak solution and repeat until they are clean.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 7:21am
Print Post  
To be honest, those just look like pieces of rock that I would not waste a speck of iron out on.  Any time I have a specimen that I want to clean and have never before used iron out or any other chemical on, I will take a very small piece and do an experimental soak to see what happens.  That way I won't ruin something.  Don't be discouraged though, one of these times you'll have found something great and the iron out will turn it into a super specimen.  Chin up and keep looking!

IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Rebecca wrote on Nov 24th, 2012 at 5:02pm:
When I first used Iron Out, I ruined some rocks. My mixture was too strong, and the water too hot when I put the rocks in. It kind of crazed them like old pottery, and turned the quartz grey. I think I "burnt" them, sort of.  Now, I use a very weak solution and repeat until they are clean.

My luck that it what I did to it...I am wanting some for vases and some to redo the bottom of my small pond.

IP Logged

RockNerd
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
To be honest, those just look like pieces of rock that I would not waste a speck of iron out on.  Any time I have a specimen that I want to clean and have never before used iron out or any other chemical on, I will take a very small piece and do an experimental soak to see what happens.  That way I won't ruin something.  Don't be discouraged though, one of these times you'll have found something great and the iron out will turn it into a super specimen.  Chin up and keep looking!

What would be safe for the Corundum...I have Iron out...vinegar..and acid...I have only scrubbed them good with hot soapy water.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint