Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig (Read 15152 times)
rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig
Nov 28th, 2012 at 11:48am
Print Post  
I got with my district manager friend for Vulcan Materials and he in turn got with the Rockingham operations manager "Charles". They have agreed to let a small group of rockhounds collect on either 12/7/12 or 12/14/12. These are Fridays. The reason for Friday is that there will be no blasting occurring in the pit on these days. As you may know, Vulcan is a VERY safety minded company. When talking to Charles, he laid out some very specific conditions that must be meet as follows:
- Hard hats, steel toe shoes, and safety glass worn at all times.
- No climbing on walls or on muck pits. He said anyone caught will get us all thrown out. No wandering off from the group. Do not plan on doing so!
- There will be a 5 minute talk and a "no harm agreement" paper that must be signed stating that Vulcan is not responsible for any injuries prior to allowing anyone into the pit.
- A group of 8 - 10 or so would be acceptable.
- The dig would be supervised for up to 2/hrs of looking.
- He said that no person can remove anymore samples than they can carry out in their packs by themselves, "a company policy".
With these restrictions this dig may not be very "attractive" but its only under these rules that Vulcan will allow access. Afterward, I'd be happy to show anyone interested a few other locales in the area that I know about. I've seen calcite, pectolite, unakite, sunstone in the pit and have heard of hyalite opal and uranium minerals. If interested, please let me know so that I can call Charles back and establish a firm date. Again, all Vulcan rules MUST be adhered to or they will eject us from the pit. If this goes well, they "might" allow future digging maybe in their other operations, who knows? But it must go off without a hitch and by their rules! I cannot promise what one might find in the pit as its "virgin rockhounding". Charles told me that only one other group, geology majors from UNC Wilmington has been allowed to collect here and they do so once a year.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the efforts.
I am interested in going. 2 hours of digging, stresses me a little. It takes time to find things and extract. Or do you think things are on the surface?

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Count me in, the 14th would be better but I could swing the 7th if I had too.  Thanks for setting this up mike

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

My understanding after talking to Charles w/ Vulcan is that at this particular quarry, they aren't use to "rockhounds" and therefore don't quite understand that we collect minerals, not just common rock samples only. The geology group from UNC Wilmington apparently is more of an educational group studying geology. I told Charles that we'd want to collect some minerals if encountered and that's when he replied "only what you can fit in a backpack". He said no large pieces or anything larger than standard "rip-rap" size. Why I don't know, some kinda company policy he said. Yeah the 2 hour deal was a bit surprising as well and it will be supervised at all times by a foreman named Lee Griffith. I don't know him. Charles also requested that if our group could ride down together into the pit in one to two vehicles it would be nice. It would appear to me that this will all be surface collecting but Charles said that he'd show us the whole quarry which is huge and deep. I asked him if he knew of any "finds" in the mine and he said unakite and epidote were common but also some calcite and "occasionally, things that nobody could identify". I admit that this venture could be a long shot but it has potential. This isn't going to be a Moncure or Glendon type dig where you expect to find something guaranteed. Who knows what is there until it is looked good? I've found schrol, epidote, corundum, nice mica, and smoky quartz around the mine vicinity before. I hate that Vulcan is so strict but all I could do was ask, which I did and this is the terms that they require. Like I say, I know the trip to Rockingham is far for many and not knowing what if anything you'll find is concerning so I understand if folks aren't interested. Either way, in a few days, hopefully I'll know if a small group wants to go and I can confirm a date/time with Charles. If nothing else, it may open doors to other Vulcan mines, who knows?

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Mike,
I appreciate you getting the dig organized.  These days any entry into a quarry is great.  But is there any chance that future digs might be on a Saturday or Sunday?  Thanks again.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Dan,

I don't know. Vulcan seems to be very particular with their rules. All the "rules" that I listed above where exactly what Charles, the site manager specifically told me to let anyone who came know beforehand. I think that its "possible" for a weekend dig next year sometime but I don't know for sure. There are several factors about this dig that might make it "less desirable" than most. 1) its a quarry that few know what to expect with little documentation. 2), its in Rockingham which is fairly far from most of you guys and 3) Vulcan has laid out all these "rules" and limits the amount of material you can remove and only up to 2/hrs of digging time. When I inquired about getting into the quarry, I wasn't expecting all these "stipulations and rules" but I think that part of it is just Vulcan's policies and part of it is that this quarry and those who run it just aren't use to rockhounds and don't understand what it takes for us to make our time and efforts worthwhile. All I could do was ask and if I get anymore leads to other mines, I'll try to see if I can get us into them as well. Hopefully I'll know by next Monday how many want to come so that I can tell Charles something. Either way, I am grateful to Charles for at least allowing us all this much as Vulcan quarry's aren't that easy to get into.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Rebecca and Mark,

Are you guys pretty sure that you want to come down to Rockingham to the Vulcan quarry? Vulcan offered us two different dates Dec. 7th or 14th. Let me know if you do and which one of these dates works best for both of you so that I can call Vulcan back and let them know. So far, only you guys seem to be interested.

Dan,

I wish that I could get Vulcan to agree to a weekend too as that works better for me also but they wouldn't right now. Let me know if you are wanting to come either on the 7th or 14th also and if not I fully understand, maybe some other time. Look forward to meeting you someday.

Hopefully I can find out by next Monday 12/3/2012 who all is coming and the date so that I can call Vulcan back and tell them if we're coming or not.

Best regards,

Mike

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:21am
Print Post  
I'm also interested.  The 14th will also be best for me.  I have to babysit my fiance's daughter on the 7th while she does the ladies night out thing.  I figure the 2 hours we have will be enough to at least see whats there, and it will leave us with plenty of time for you to show us some other locations.  Thanks for setting this up Mike. 

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 7:51am
Print Post  
7th is possible but I would be skipping my last lecture before exams, no biggie?  The 14th is clear for me though. Huh

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Scott and Mark,

Sounds great, I'll wait till Monday to see if Rebecca wants to come or any others and call Charles and arrange the 14th. This is a huge pit (actually two pits). Charles said they take us through the whole place. Some years ago, I was on a dirt road just north and bordering the quarry that was Vulcan property and stumbled upon a place where someone dug out a quartz/mica vein and had been breaking rock. Upon inspection, I found that they were finding crystals of a bluish mineral that resembled tourmaline. Whoever dug it, was trying to "pop" the xls out of the rock and shattering them in the process as there were tiny fragments of busted tourmaline everywhere but no good xls (I assume they got most of the shards). Obviously someone who didn't know what they were doing. Anyway, I started to dig around the vein and a quarry worker drove up and ran me off. Now, that whole area is in open pit with a motion sensor on the only access road to it on that side. I've found schrol in two spots less than 1/2 mile from it. Anyway, hopefully we'll all find something good. I know of other spots in the area and your welcome to come over to my place as well. I look forward to meeting you Scott, Mark look forward to seeing you again.

Best of regards, Mike

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Hi! Yes yes yes! I want to go. The 14th would be best for me too. Thank you very much for going through the trouble of setting this up.
The potentiality of the place sounds wonderful; and the quarry being unknown, makes it even more exciting.  2 hours will be plenty of time! I am so excited!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2012 at 2:18pm by Rebecca »  

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

I'll call Charles tomorrow and let him know that there will be at least four of us coming on the 14th, being me, you, Mark, and Scott. The 14th is still over a week away so if anyone else contacts me there is still time to come. Charles was ok with up to a dozen folks or so. You'll need your hardhat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes to get in. I hope that the weather cooperates with us. Its anyone's guess as to what we'll find but I'd look out for well formed and possibly gemmy orange feldspar rhombs, unakite, and calcite as this is what is most common. I use to have an almost transparent orange feldspar 2" across that I guess would be "sunstone" from there. Traded it way back. I've got a small piece of fibrous pectolite from there but have seen a mass over a foot across before. A guy in Albermarle that I know use to have a piece of rock covered in thin waxy hyalite opal from there, not Spruce Pines quality but equally as fluorescent. He too also had some black pitchy samples that were radioactive that came out of there many years ago. I've heard stories of everything from Elbaite to corundum but haven't seen any from the quarry but can believe it as I can take you to a corundum locality and two schrol localities just minutes away. Anyway, getting into any mine should be fun. See ya there.

Mike

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Directions to Rockingham's Vulcan Quarry:

From Charlotte, take business hwy. 74. After crossing the PeeDee River bridge take the 74 by-pass and approx. 2 miles you'll see the first exit that will say "Cordova". Take this exit (right) off by-pass 74. Turn left, go across 74 and you will see the main entrance into Vulcan's quarry (you can't miss it).

From Raleigh take US 1 south to Rockingham till it comes to the intersection of Long Drive and Hwy 1 (also called Fayetteville Rd at this point). Turn left onto Long Drive and stay on it approx. 3 miles till it hits business US 74 (there will be a busy intersection). Turn right (west onto bus. 74 and go approx. 2 miles to US. 1 south (turn left). On US 1 south go approx. 3 miles and turn right (west) onto by-pass 74. From there you will go approx. 2 miles an exit at the "Cordova" exit to the right and you'll see the quarry on the right.

From Greensboro, go Hwy 220 south, cross bus. 74 another mile and it merges with US 1 south. From there go approx. 1 mile and exit right onto by-pass 74 (west) and go approx. 2 miles and then exit right at the "Cordova" exit. You will see the quarry on the right.

My home cell number is 910-206-7629. Please fell free to call me.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
If you go Rebecca can I bum a ride?  I'd be on the way.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Laurie,

I'll add you to the list which now makes a total of five people. I plan to call Charles at Vulcan about 9:00am this morning and let him know that our group has chosen the 14th. I'll try to confirm the meeting time from Charles and post it.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint