Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Future New Gem & Mineral Show (Read 1323 times)
rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Future New Gem & Mineral Show
Jan 16th, 2013 at 9:05am
Print Post  
I am posting this to see what if any interest I get about setting up a new gem and Mineral show in Rockingham, NC. I've been toying with the idea for many years. I have a friend who oversees property near our Wal-Mart where the boyscouts and other have events regularly as well as a friend who works at the National Guard where they also hold events. Granted the area has never had a show but I feel that such an event would go well here. In addition, I have a fellow rockhound friend in Southern Pines who also wants to set up some sort of event there and has asked if I'd be interested in helping. He use to be a dealer. If any of you on the Rockhoundlounge have minerals to sell or trade and would be interested in participating in such an event, I'd love to hear from you. If I knew that I could get 10 -12 people and possibly some who want to swap or trade, this might be something that could be realized. There are no shows nor clubs in this area but I've seen strong interest in the hobby. I realize that the economy is not great and don't know what if any effect that would have. This is only in the beginning stages and may not happen but you have to start somewhere. If anyone has any ideas or suggetions, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Rockytoprockshop

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Future New Gem & Mineral Show
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I've not got material to vend, but I would enjoy swapping and meeting new rockhounds.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Mark,

Yeah I would like to as well. I think the rockhound community should try and have small events like this scattered about the various communities which only helps encourage the hobby to our young people. I use to go around to schools and give talks on rocks to kids and give out "kiddie bags" of local rocks. The kids eyes would light up and it made me feel good to see them take interest in rocks instead of some video game or the countless other things that our youth have facing them constantly. I appreciate your interest. Like I say, anyone out there who has ideas or may have tried such a thing themselves in the past, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm even game to helping others who also want to do such an event in their home town, it doesn't have to be Rockingham or Southern Pines the only reason I said those places is that I live hear and know about the area, possible locations to stage such an event, and there is nothing here like this. Big towns like Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, etc. have had shows and clubs for years but the small towns like Rockingham serve an area radius of at least 100,000 people who have to drive well out of town to enjoy such things. Anyway, thanks again Mark for your help.

Mike

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 11:41am
Print Post  
You have to start somewhere. I bet it would build momentum. It sounds like a positive endeavor and a great idea.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I'd be up for it Mike, but I'm not sure if I can come up with any rocks to sell.  LOL

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Rebecca & Laurie,

Thanks, yeah I checked into some issues like insurance and security a while back. I need to get back into it and update my information. If I ever manage to do this and get through any red tape, rules, etc. I've got to know that I will have some folks who'll come and set up. The Cotton Patch Mine tried a thing like this a few years back. I went the first show and set up, did so-so but the next year I didn't and heard that it the second show wasn't that good. I spoke to them the other day and they never had a show since. So I don't know but that show was mostly a GPAA and gold oriented deal. Either way, I'm kinda testing the waters here to see if there is enough interest to warrant trying you know?

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Update
I received a call back from a friend who owns a business along US Hwy. 74 in Rockingham across from the Food Lion Shopping Center that he had no objections to allowing a group of "rockhounds" to set up and have a swap or sell on his property one Saturday. This stretch of highway is the busiest in Rockingham and Hwy. 74 is the main route for many on the way to the beach from the Piedmont. Along with me doing a little advertising in the local paper ahead of such an event and some email chatter this could work. I still have leads on two other sites (one in front of Wal-Mart and the other inside the National Guard Armory here) but have not heard back on either of those yet. Like I said earlier, this is in very early planning stages and depends upon allot of factors but if enough people show interest who knows? Other factors like the economy, etc. have to be weighed but I do have one prime spot that is available to me as of now. Food for thought.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint