Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What got me started (Read 3427 times)
Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

What got me started
Feb 27th, 2013 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Well about 5 years ago I saw an episode on cash and treasures and ever since then I wanted to go check out the mines of North Carolina ... Well I knew I could visit cause my family is out here . Just never thought I'd move here but since I did ... I went out the first week if this year, and I have to say it hot me hooked
Now I am we'll aware they salt their creeks and their buckets but hey it was just about the experience I tryd my hand at digging even though that yielded nothing but then again I didn't dig deep or long so who knows but the creek had plenty of stones and the buckets were fun... I was convinced it will be a perfect place to bring the kids however I think ill bring them to Brushy Creek instead that way I get a new part of the adventure at a real mine lol

I will say that ever since that experience I can't stop looking for stones it's like I'm addicted ... At least it's a healthy addiction ... I'm thinking about ordering mine run from different parts of the world in between my treks into the NC wilderness and hills just because its so much fun I feel like a kid again walking the creeks and finding pretty rocks

One of these days I want to check out a rock quarry too just want to experience so many different aspects of the hobby ... And I figure the field work will be a good advantage before I take geology ... I know there are two quarries near by but don't know the first step in finding out if its possible to scavenge

Any way here's a pick of a few stones from hidenite NC

Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2013 at 8:17am by Scott LaBorde »  

image_004.jpg ( 246 KB | 52 Downloads )
image_004.jpg

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Re: What got me started
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
My lucky sapphire keep it in my pocket on any field trip
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2013 at 8:17am by Scott LaBorde »  

image_005.jpg ( 155 KB | 50 Downloads )
image_005.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah, Dusty, Cash and Treasures got a lot of folks interested,
but most folks lose interest after just an outing or two.
I'd have to say you got it BAD. Wink
And that's good.
It ain't easy going out on your own and try and find something,
anything, worth bringing home. It's totally understandable
that you have to break down every once in a while and buy
a salted bucket to sluice. It beats going home empty-handed. Smiley
Here's some info and ideas for you;
First of all, there is one of those gem sluice places off
Hwy 55 in Cary. It's called the Blue Diamond Gem Mine, or
something like that, close to the intersection of Hwy 55 and
Jenks Rd. He usually opens up around the first of May.
It's a pretty place and you don't have to drive so far to get
your fix.
Another thing you might try is join the local Raleigh club,
The Tar Heel Gem and Mineral Club. It's $20.00 for the year,
plus $5.00 more for each additional family member.
The club tries to go on as many fieldtrips to area quarries
each year as possible. The next fieldtrip is scheduled for
March 9th, and we're going to the Stokesdale, NC quarry
northwest of Burlington. Most of the time there's not much
but a lot of rock to look at, but it's about the only way you
are going to get access to any of the quarries to have a
look around. If you rush your membership to them you could
probably still make it to this next one. No telling how many
more fieldtrips the club will have this year, but I'm sure there
will be atleast a couple more. You can go to their website,
print off the membership form, send it in with your check, and then contact the fieldtrip guy and let him know if you
plan on going.

Other than that all I can say is we'll have to plan a trip to
the Burgin one of these weekends. I guess it would have to
be sometime after March 9th. You can read about the place
in the Fieldtrip Report section. It's a great place to get some
firsthand quartz crystal digging experience, although, again,
there's no guarantees. Wink

Happy Hunting,
Joe

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Another option would be to stop by my rockshop if you go to the Burgin Mine and I will give you an instant collection of starter minerals.  I have a great many extra mediocre specimens, mostly from NC, to give away, so that my shop isn't totally overrun.  Bring a few boxes and newspapers for wrapping and load up!  Or any time you're over this way.  This is not just junk, there's some nice stuff.  I can also steer you to some collecting places over this way.

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
I'll deffinately have to join the gem club... It sounds like a great way to get some ecperience. Thanks for the tip on the blue diamond mine I can take my little cousin there cause she love to go rock hunting with me...
I plan to order some Montana gravel for those itchy days some time I'll have to try my hands at panning for gold too just sounds fun...
Thanks joe for all the suggestions, if I can't make it to the march 9th outing we will have to set something up.

No luck on today's outing but had a great walk and got a new pick axe

Cheesy

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Excited
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2013 at 8:30am by Scott LaBorde »  

image_006.jpg ( 161 KB | 51 Downloads )
image_006.jpg

IP Logged

becky
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Dusty T, what Laurie says is straight on!  His rock shop is a treat any time you can stop by there.  So very gracious in sharing his treasures that don't make it to the price box and very reasonable prices on the treasures that did.  Too, he is a wealth of information on the many digging sites in your area.  Get on over there on your way to the Burgin mine that you need to go play at.  happy hounding!!
b

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Laurie is a wealth of information and a great guy. It isn't a trick, he will load you up and open your mind about all minerals.
And you have the most important thing needed for this hobby...an honest and earnest desire to hunt and learn. It is a good obsession/addiction too, chock full of science and the thrill of discovery.
It would behove you to get to a club and learn from the more experienced. Joe loves it when you follow him around and ask him a million questions too.  Grin I am joking, Joe really does give freely of his time and knowledge and sincerely endeavors to fan the flames of your interest in the natural world.
Happy Hunting!

IP Logged

bkarloff
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
dusty, check out the magma club, they have taught me a ton of stuff about the rock collecting hobby in the last coupleof years and they have access to many sites that others dont; http://www.wncrocks.com/magma/magma%20join%20club.htm

IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Hello Dusty,

Welcome to the next level, as a life long collector of rocks and minerals It thrills me when I hear new folks waxing ecstatic of their joy of collecting, it is truly a wonderful and fascinating endeavour. Clubs are nice, but in my opinion nothing beats the feeling of finding places to dig through your own research and leg work. Noticed on one your other posts that you have embarked upon formal education in the geological sciences, bravo! You will most likey be required to take a course in map intepretation,  (usually in your second year) this course is the key to your succsess in prospecting. A fluent understanding of topographic maps, cross sections and maps of geological formations will open the door to an understanding of the earth that you are only just beginning to realize. Mineralogy courses will hone your indentification skills and make you a valued member to any club as you will develop mad skills in mineral ID and provenance. Geomorpholgy classes will open your mind to the processes responsible for the myriad of land forms. Become as close as you can to your instructors and ask any and all questions that you may have, they will respond to your curiosity graciously and more than likely develop a high level of respect for you. Professional societies such a AAPG, the American Association of Professional Geologists have wonderful programs for budding geologists such as low student rates for membership, access to a huge data base of geological publications, and is an excellent source for mentoring. Best of all, at some point you will be able to dazzle/bore to tears your friends with the finer points and distinctions between argillites, claystones, shale and indurated clays. Great campfire conversation, just ask Joe!

Good luck,

John-xtldggr-Makohon
Engineering Geologist

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
"Best of all, at some point you will be able to dazzle/bore to tears your friends with the finer points and distinctions between argillites, claystones, shale and indurated clays."

aye, aye, aye...... *sigh*  Wink

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
God I sure hope so xltddgr cause I have yet to find anything in my own out in the fed and I go out at least twice a week ... It's getting a little discouraging .... But I'm keeping at it , I just want one of those finds where I'm like finally I found something ... So I don't feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall every time I go out into the field ... I do enjoy the walks and nature but gee it would be nice to find something lol
So if these courses can get me set up so I can get a job and then also know where to look for my hobby interest ill be over joyed ... Till then I'm just trying to tell my self ... Just one of these days you'll find a rock out here

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 8:35am
Print Post  
As has been mentioned before, join a club where you will be taken to locations known for a specific mineral or gem, and then your chances of finding something will be almost guaranteed.  We must learn to walk before running.   Wink

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Well I hate to bust your bubble, but a lot of this hobby is looking and not finding. So all the fancy, shmancy courses you take still won't actually put a rock in your hand till you get out on your feet and move.  Wink Plus it is good for you! I understand your frustrations, but really this is necessary to build appreciation for when you do find.
But you will be able to answer all your rockhounding friends questions and bore them at the same time.   Grin It is a very complex and all encompassing field.   Wink
Grin  Grin  Grin Wow John! I didn't know you were a geo engineer.  Grin Grin Grin Well that explains some stuff. I guess you do know what you are talking about after all.  Grin Sooo funny!

IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

Always giving me the business Angry Smiley Need to clarify a minor descrepancy in you reply. I am an Engineering Geologist, Rather than a Geo-Engineer, there is a difference. A Geo-Engineer is a Engineer with a fundamental understanding of Geology, An Engineering Geologist is a Geologist with a fundamental understanding of Engineering. The biggest difference is I don't sport a pocket protector Grin Grin. But seriously; although it may seem a trivial distinction, from a professional and therefore liabillity point of view, our contributions to projects in which we are involved are not the same.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint