Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ray mica mine (Read 13350 times)
Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Ray mica mine
Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:01am
Print Post  
So Sunday I decided to take a trip over to the ray mica mine to try my luck at finding some beryl specimens.
Well I arrived there at a quarter to 11
Grabbed my pick my field guid a bucket some eye protection and a few other necessities ... And began my hike about half way up I met a group of geologist from Cincinnati OH who where up there just to get field experience ... Well during my 3-4 hours of digging through tailings and looking through creek water I only came out with three specemins all under a carat ... Pretty sure this place had been picked through pretty well over the years I was going to head up the mountain side to the top spoils to have a look where a few people said they had a little luck... But my stomach was grumbling and my motivation was getting a little shot, not to mention there were people up there goi g through the tailings and I didn't want them to get all possessive of the top spoils so I des used to return to the truck and munch on a sandwitch by the stream side

Feeling a little down troddened and disappointed I decided, well hey I'm near spruce pine why not go to one of these gem mines where I knew I was  guarantied to find some thing
So I went to Gem Mountain ... Figured yeah big tourist shop but I knew what I was walking into ... How ever I didn't expect to be treated so nicely and I didn't know I would find twice as much in my buckets here than hiddenite's ... And better quality
I started off with a rubie bucket and got a hundred pluses rubies in one bucket a few sapphires garnets labradorite and emeralds , splitting a bucket with my mom who I dragged along for the trip we got the Carolina special and between the both of us working on that we got some pretty cool specimens some just pretty rock/minerals , others can worthy and a few facet grade materials, I have only begun to just organize all my piknz ... We got two free cut with the buck she got a tear drop amethyst and I got an emerald cut garnet ( my sons birthstone ) .... Not to mention I finally have Beeyl to add into my collection three different varieties even ... Very happy guy  Roll Eyes , my mom two was excited and loved her rocks ... I needed that guarantee that day to boost my spirits

I like a fool thought hey this mica mine was going to be like garnet hill ... Rock crystals every where not facet grade but cool Collectibles but it was not ... That will teach me to get my hopes up about a site lol... But it was beautiful there and calming really good for my mental

.... So still missing the experience of getting a Crystal out of the ground my self , be it quartz or what ever ... That is one task which just keeps alluding me as if to say I'm not worthy yet....

Yes I plan to join the local tar heal mineral club .. Just been focused on getting my dead line stuff done for college ...
Not giving up , not backing down ... I am determined to get a degree ...
And most definitely determined to get me a crystal !!!
    Even if it drives me insane    Muhahahahahahahahaaaaaaa Cheesy

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Re: Ray mica mine
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Sorry bout the typos

But here is my emerald ... My first beryl specimen

image_009.jpg ( 11 KB | 118 Downloads )
image_009.jpg

IP Logged

Chemfreak
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:25am
Print Post  
The mica mine has been picked over pretty well. When I first went up there you could pick up mica books all over the place. Now, you can barely find a good handfull. Beryl is a different story. You need to do some digging to the bottom where no one has touched before. That is where all of the beryl will be found now. All of the surface has been pretty well picked over. At least you found something to go home with. That's more than others have found. Keep looking and you will get better at knowing what spots are the best. Good luck!

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Thanks yeah I dug down about three feet or so in one spoil pile and all of the three specimens I fount there where on the top as if to mock me lol

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 11:38am
Print Post  
I almost went up to the Ray yesterday.
Dusty, that mountain is big and the spoils are all over it. There is plenty of room for you to be up there with others. Even if you moved 100 feet away from people, you will still be in tailings. That place was dug heavily and extensively for years. You would be surprised at what is actually tailings and what is actually the mountain.

IP Logged

Ezdiggin
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I was there on Saturday, what a beautiful day.  It was about 24 degrees when I got there, but I was in a tee shirt by lunch.  The Ray mine is a little harder then it used to be, but if you have time and put a lot of hard work in it you'll find good stuff.  I usually get there at sunrise and leave at sunset.  In the summer I spend 12-13 hours there.  Gotta get my gas money's worth out of it.  Stay away from the creek, it's picked over and off limits from digging anyway.  You have to dig down where no one has dug before.  Takes time to figure out what's been dug before, and sometimes you think you're in a good spot and then you uncover a modern soda bottle.  It took 4-5 trips until I started to figure the place out.  Now after 12 years of going I have a pretty good inventory in my head.  I also take a lot of pictures every time I go, so I can compare photo to photo what's been dug since I've last been there.  That's a little extreme for most people though I'm sure.  Give it a few more tries you'll start finding beryl.

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
well said EZDiggin....and kudos to you for taking the time to photograph each time you're there, i'm sure that pays off mightily with as much as the Ray gets dug.

There's still more beryl there than anyone can imagine. But its not going to jump out and bite you....well..unless.....the 2004 floods come back Wink

-Dave

IP Logged

Ezdiggin
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Yes the 04' floods were an exciting time.  The only time you could literally trip over a big beryl and hit your head on another big beryl.  Unfortunately I missed out on that collecting opportunity, but have heard a dozen stories about it.

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Wait I was there Saturday not Sunday ... I wonder if I ran into you half way up when I was looking for my my mom ... I asked some dude in a white t shirt if he had any luck EZ... Was that you or we're you the person further up flinging rocks behind them lol ... And I don't think it will be the last time I go ... Just the last time I go with out an experienced hound

IP Logged

Ezdiggin
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 8:02am
Print Post  
That was me in the white tee shirt.  Should have come over and asked me a few questions, I'd have showed you a few things to look out for.  That spot I was in seems to produce some nice big garnet and columbite, but the beryl is kinda hit or miss. There was a gravel layer about three feet down that had some beryl, but was trying to get down a few feet deeper where the best stuff usually is.  The top layers were so unstable that it kept collapsing in on me. I never got down far enough. I'll try to find some time to post some pics of my finds.  Another thing I bring that really helps is a bucket, fill it with water from the creek.  I use a plastic brush and wash off the bigger rocks that I know have a really good chance of containing beryl.  There are some rocks that have almost no chance of having beryl in them. They go down the hill unwashed.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Small world! Smiley
Thanks for the help and advice, EZ.

IP Logged

Dusty travels

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Dang I'd say small world ... And Yeah I should have asked but I'm nervous around new people , darn anxiety .  I'm a real people person once I get past my anxiety, kinda like a rock being pried loose...

Today I've been just messing around with a diamond blade and some rubies using nothing more than a dremel water and hands lol fun stuf but now I think I may see if I can canabalize a few things in the garage for a DIY flat lap ... Those things are so darn expensive ...
Not that I plan to sell any of my stones but want to learn to cut to put display pieces of raw and polished rocks

Although one day I may get into wire wrapping for gifts ...
Babbling my bad ...

Any ways back to DIY work

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 8:37am
Print Post  
That's what makes rockhounding so great.  The amount of things you can do with the gems and minerals you find can keep you busy forever -- not to mention has the potential to earn you some cash.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Ezdiggin
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
For some reason pics look squashed when they are previewed on here hopefully they look right when they post.  I'll just try one to see.  This is from my trip last Saturday to ray mine when I ran into dusty travels and geoman from magma.

IP Logged

Ezdiggin
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Pics look terrible, not sure what I'm doing wrong? I'm using tinypic website to resize.  Any other suggestions? I know Scott's pics turn out great.  My pics look pretty good on ipad before they resize then look awful when posted. Might have to break out the Nikon, that takes forever though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint