Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Itching to get started..... (Read 2152 times)
vlee
YaBB Newbies

Itching to get started.....
Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Hello to all,

Newbie to the forum and to searching for unsalted mining.

So, as a kid I use to collect any pretty rock and place in box under my bed. Then while doing research before moving to NC from PA, I learned how many gemstones could be found in this state. I was thinking wow, everyone must be able to get stones from their back yards. Imagine my surprise in the first few times of talking with folks who grew up here that they had no idea about gems in NC.  (Leaves more for the rest of us Roll Eyes

Took a couple trips to gem shows and got the bug, as did my dad. My Dad started digging at Hiddenite Hollow mine. My kids and parents and I spent a whole summer of going through buckets brought home looking for any signs of emeralds.

My dad got a young partner to join in with the dig of a nice size hole. Problem came when the young guy and wife dug late in the day and found a nice size pocket. In their rush to get to the crystals in pocket they destroyed what chance their was to see if any emeralds were in the pocket. Next day it rained and hole filled in. My dad still has many of the crystals and rutile pulled out that day.

That was 10yrs ago. Now, at present time Im about to retire early from my job and want to get back to playing in the dirt.

Im looking to get with anyone or other females like me who are a little afraid to go in the woods alone. Im new in the durham area, and moving towards RTP area by next january. So Im not familiar with anyplace here. (RHL has become my new homework study class  Wink , and Im trying to catch up)
Also if anyone metal detects Im looking to do a bit of that as well.

Im a photographer and Artist
http://veena-waziri.artistwebsites.com

My future endeavors are to learn to cut gemstones and flame working (lampworking)

So thanks in advance for reading this intro and for all who share info on this site.

Bitten by the rock~bug

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Itching to get started.....
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Wonderful stuff!, vlee, Thanks for the introduction and
Welcome to the board!  Smiley

I took a look at your site and love it! I very much look forward to seeing what kind of
pictures you can/will take of rocks.
Just FYI, classes in cabochon making and faceting can be found at the Crafts Center on NC State campus. (That's in Raleigh. Wink)
It cost $70-$80 for a six week class but after you graduate you are allowed to continue using
the equipment for 6 months or so. It's a good inexpensive way to get the experience you need
to answer all the questions you will have.

Of course we'll try and help, too.
And we'd love to see some pics of the crystals with rutile your Dad dug. Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Welcome Vlee.  I think rocks and gemstones go very well together with art.   Grin
Glad to have you.  I'm sure we'll be heading to the Burgin mine soon, and when we do everyone is invited.  It's a great place for the experienced rockhound, and for those getting back in or getting started with rockhounding.  You should be able to see some of our field trip reports to that mine in the field trip section.  As Joe said, with your photography skills you'll be able to show us your finds in style!   Wink

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

vlee
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Joe, Thank you for the valuable info. I only knew of William Holland School of Lapidary Arts down in Georgia.
I definitely will be looking into the class. I have way too many gems from salted pay mines that need to be cut.
Will post pics of Dads rutile as soon as I can get them out of their box of dust.

Scott, Art and gems do go well together! Lets see how well I can create them.
I am enjoying reading and looking at all the past posts.
Im going to the MAGMA field trip coming up end of July. I wont be there all 5 days, but looking forward to going to the Reel Amethyst mine, and maybe a dip in the creek for some artifacts. Will you both be going or anyone else from RHL?

Speaking of impressive photography, Ive seen the pics and videos you both have taken of your minerals/specimen,
Nice work!!

Bitten by the rock~bug

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
The MAGMA Round-Up, which coincides with the Grassy Creek Show in Spruce Pine, is about the biggest week of the year for rockhounds in the southeast. I'm very glad to hear you are planning on going. It's a great time and you will learn a lot.

If I go I am thinking about setting up at the Grassy Creek show so will be tied to the booth and won't be able to get away to do much rock hunting.
We'll see tho...........
Joe

IP Logged

vlee
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
My dad use to set up there as well for about 3yrs in a row, back around 2003.
Its been awhile since Ive been up to the show.
Good luck on sales!!

Bitten by the rock~bug

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint