Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need some advice on Morel Hunting (Read 1987 times)
dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Need some advice on Morel Hunting
Apr 15th, 2014 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I have checked several hardwood areas around my house.  Pines are sometimes mixed in.  Moisture ranges from almost swampy to dry upland.  Several fairly large areas of ferns in one of the wooded areas. Checked around an old pecan grove that is grass and fairly dry.

Should I stay to the woods or head to grassy areas?  I thought about taking part of the trail around Falls Lake but have not got there yet. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Need some advice on Morel Hunting
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Join the club, Dan.
I haven't seen one yet, so don't take my advice. Wink
I've only found them in moist mossy areas and areas that haven't
been disturbed in a hundred years or more.
Dang, I'm glad the growing season only lasts a couple of weeks! Angry

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Don't get discouraged, they're out there. I picked these today. The last two years i didn't pick a single morel, the two years prior, i found several patches that yielded 30,50,60, even up to 100 in one patch.

This year they're much harder to find, and so far the most i've seen in one spot is 12. no big patches.

I found my first 3 on 4/8 and marked them. I went back this past tuesday and saw maybe 5 or 6 more. Today i went back and harvested about 12 from this spot. So i think more have been coming out this week.

The weird thing, some that came up early still looked great and fresh, some were dried out, still some looked like they just popped. I think with the temps holding and rain tomorrow and sat. I think next week is still worth looking.
I havn't hit all of my spots yet, but so far, its tough going, but they are out there.

Dan, to follow up on Joe's comments, looks for moist, but well drained areas, if its too swampy/mushy, you wont find them, move slightly up the slopes, just out of the floodplain. Old hardwoods, particularly tulip poplars, and stay away from too many evergreens.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/10245484_102024512
45575036_6454682534403908780_n.jpg

-Dave

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 11:12pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint