Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rockhounding sites in Ohio (Read 12520 times)
Barclay
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Rockhounding sites in Ohio
Apr 18th, 2014 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Greetings,

I just discovered this board and have a question.  In June i am coming out from California to the Dayton Ohio area and i am wondering what are some good rock hounding sites i can visit.  I do lapidary and have expanded from pendants and belt buckles to stone knife handles (guy jewelry).  I am willing to drive to find neat stuff.  I have read that the Flint Ridge flint is uniquely beautiful with a range of colors.  i would appreciate any help.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Rockhounding sites in Ohio
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Scroll down in this "RockHounding Locations" to the Nethers Farm thread for Flint Ridge information.  Not sure if it's still open; I have yet to check it out myself when travels take me to Ohio.  Flint Ridge is east of Columbus, so it will be about a 90-minute drive from Dayton.  Also, see
http://www.newark.osu.edu/facultystaff/personal/jstjohn/Documents/Rocks-and-Fossils-in-the-Field/Vanport-Flint.htm (This Ohio State geology professor has a very interesting web site with lots of photos of interesting geology worldwide.)

Closer to Dayton you can find plenty of fossils at Caesar Creek Lake State Park.  The park may still have an area designated for collecting like it did in the '90s.  You can also strike out on your own in the various creeks.

Also worth a trip is Serpent Mound in southern Ohio a few hours from Dayton.  The ancient mound itself is impressive,  and the adjacent area is thought to be an eroded impact crater.  The impact was likely responsbile for the high number of minerals found in Adam County, although in small quantities per an old state geologist's book I have somewhere.  We took the kids to Serpent Mound a few times when they were young but never hunted for rocks and minerals.  I wonder what creek crawling in the area would turn up.

IP Logged

Elmas
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Rockhounding sites in Ohio
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Yes, Nether's Farm is still open.  Just went there today with my two boys.  See my post under "Nethers Farm (Flint Ridge, OH) Status?".

Nick
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint