Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Dennis Herman Collection (Read 3682 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

The Dennis Herman Collection
Jul 12th, 2014 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Saturday, June, 21 2014

Dennis Herman invited a group of friends to come view his collection, socialize, and see him off as he prepares for his move to Morganton, NC.  We had great time together, especially listening to Dennis reminisce about the history behind his minerals.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2014 at 1:47pm by Scott LaBorde »  

z47.JPG ( 383 KB | 106 Downloads )
z47.JPG
z48.JPG ( 436 KB | 110 Downloads )
z48.JPG
z49.JPG ( 366 KB | 107 Downloads )
z49.JPG
z51.JPG ( 405 KB | 114 Downloads )
z51.JPG
z52.JPG ( 453 KB | 101 Downloads )
z52.JPG
z53.JPG ( 350 KB | 107 Downloads )
z53.JPG
z54.JPG ( 377 KB | 109 Downloads )
z54.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Re: The Dennis Herman Collection
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Scott,

I forgot you were shooting a video, as well as taking photos during your visit.  Thanks for posting them.  I enjoyed having everyone over and getting chance to chat about minerals.

My collections are all packed up now and waiting to be moved into the new house.  The movers will load up our belongings on August 5 and unload them the next day.

Since I had no takers on the fossil collection, I packed them up as well.  I may or may not display them after we move, but I will use the display case to display some of the gems and minerals.

I plan to post one of my quizzes before I shut down my computer for the move, so be on the look out for it.

Dennis

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Looks like a great collection Dennis.  Hope to see it when you're all set up in your new House.  Good luck with the move.

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Dennis,
Thanks so much for the invite and hope that you love Morganton.  May see you as I visit relatives there.  Scott, the camera does put on at least 30 pounds to what you look like.  I have always heard that and seeing myself, now I know it is true.  Wink

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Here I'm holding a very rare piece of NC kunzite in Dennis's collection.  I will have to wait for Dennis to chime in and give the particulars, because I know I will do it an injustice.

z50.JPG ( 286 KB | 107 Downloads )
z50.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 1:27pm
Print Post  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Hi,

These are amazing videos and pics Scott!  Most of my pics came back as a reflection of me in the mirror and you overcame that with perfect camera positioning - and did a brilliant job!

You have a magnificent collection Dennis - truly inspiring to this rookie rockhound and I appreciate you letting us see it.  Also, thanks for the big piece of petrified wood - it's a great specimen to add to my collection.

Good luck in all you do.
Cheers,
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Scott,

Nice additional video and the photo of the lilac-colored Spodumene.

I've had that specimen since 1963, and it was collected at the old Calhoun Smith Mine, Spruce Pine, NC.  Linten B. Greene collected the specimen in the old mine dump (gone forever now) in 1957 while collecting Beryl for the U.S. Government.

The Calhoun Smith Mine or the Smith Mine is the only reported locality for the lilac-colored Spodumene (Kunzite) in NC.  Kunzite was discovered at the mine in the mid 1930s, but very few specimens were collected.  This may be the last piece ever collected from there. 

The pegmatite running through this mine is thought to be the same as that found at the nearby McChone Mica Mine.  Both mines produced Spodumene and Beryl, and as far as I know they are the only localities for Spodumene in the Spruce Pine District.

Factoid:  Linten Greene was a former beryl supplier for the U.S. government in the 1950s, and he owned Greene's Rock & Mineral Shop near the mineral museum at the Blue Ridge Parkway at Gillespie Gap.  He was my main mentor for my education of minerals, mines, and collecting in NC, and I would spend hours at his shop talking minerals from 1961 to 1967 until I went off to college.  Lee McKinney and Floyd Wilson were two others that influenced me and added to my NC mineral knowledge.

Dennis
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2014 at 7:48am by Dennis »  

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the opportunity, Dennis.
Hope the move goes smoothly and we'll see you soon.
Aloha! Smiley

DSCN1452.JPG ( 209 KB | 108 Downloads )
DSCN1452.JPG

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Thanks, Joe.  That's a nice photo, too.

We closed on our house Tuesday, and will move the first week of August.  I've been working on my new office/man cave area to see how the curio cabinets will fit for optimal displaying.  The room is going to be crowded with the addition of my computer work space, file cabinets, and books. 

I made my first mineral discoveries while at the new house this week:  a piece of purple fluorite ( partial crystal), amethyst (partial crystal), aventurine, mud included smoky quartz (partial crystal), and several pieces of kyanite in matrix.  It was obvious that they were placed in the area I found them as decorative features near a bird bath. 

It pays to be cautious when finding mineral specimens near current or former human habitation sites.  You never know what you'll find anywhere humans have lived or traveled through.

Dennis

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Dennis,
What area of Morganton did you move to?  I lived in the Oak Hill area for 13 years and in-laws live in the Salem area.  Again, thanks so much for the invite to see the amazing collection.  When you get up this way you will have to come and see mine. 

Take care and enjoy Morganton.  You know they found at least one diamond in Burke County and I believe that gold is found in Muddy Creek that flows into the Catawba.  Monanzite is for sure found in the Creek.  Lots of good stuff up that way.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Dan,

Our house is 6 miles east of the old Burke Co. courthouse in Morganton, in the Drexel area.  Being from Burke Co. I'm very familiar with the area, and also its mineralogy.

The Brindletown area was one of the largest gold producing areas in the state before the 1849 California gold rush.  Brindletown and Silver Creeks produced a lot of gold and many varieties of minerals such as monazite (you mentioned), beryl, diamonds, tourmaline, and much more.  Walker's Knob in the northern South Mountains of Burke Co. had several mica mines that produced nice gem quality beryl (aquamarine, golden, and green [referred to emerald] by early gemologists [Kunz] and mineralogists [Pratt and Genth and Kerr].

I visited the Burke Co. Museum last Tuesday and saw a nice amethyst cluster from Burke Co. on display.  It looked very similar to Wake Co. Bowling Green amethysts.  There's at least two old mica mines near my house and the Poovey garnet locality is down NC 18 not too far away.

I'll try to do some exploring after we get settled in, and my muscles quit aching.

Dennis

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Didn't know you were from the area!  Enjoy and be safe. Those muscles will loosen up eventually.   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint