Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crabtree Emerald Mine and Grassy Creek (Read 2208 times)
Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Crabtree Emerald Mine and Grassy Creek
Jul 24th, 2014 at 9:36am
Print Post  
The Grassy Creek show is an eight day outdoor event that starts Sunday July 27 and runs through the following Sunday. **A field trip will take place for the Greensboro Club on August 2, 2014 at Crabtree Emerald Mine located in Little Switzerland, NC. Shawn and Dawn will be the trip leaders and will meet all attendees at Emerald Village at 9:30 am. You will need to sign in and pay your dues to dig at the mine at that time. It is a $20. Directions to Emerald Village can be found below.

Directions to Emerald Village from Greensboro

Crabtree is famous for producing very dark green emeralds and was dug several years while following a vein of emeralds located in the pegmatite. Other associated minerals such as beryl, quartz, mica, biotite, and garnets can also be found at this location. The most common rocks to host emeralds are white feldspar lined by dark black biotite/mica. The emeralds will run along the black sections.

Digging for emeralds can be easy or just plain difficult depending on how you approach it. People often find emeralds by digging dirt and then sifting it in the nearby pond water and others break rocks using sledge hammers. Bring necessary wrapping material (newspapers) to wrap all specimens found.

Tools needed:
Rock pick/shovel
Screen
Sledge Hammer
Chisel
Wrapping Paper
Buckets for hauling dirt to water source for screening

**Caution: Do not enter into the pond for it was the access point to the mine shaft. Be very careful while walking near and around it.**

Afterwards you can enjoy the show at Grassy Creek where Shaun Shelton, Gary Parker, and Laurie Adams are setup selling rocks. You will need to go back to HWY 226 and follow it North towards Spruce Pine, NC. As you proceed towards Spruce Pine you will pass a Wal-Mart on the right hand side of the road and approximately 1/2 mile down the road on your left you will reach the Gem and Mineral Show. The location occurs at Parkway Fire and Rescue and parking can be found either in the back or anywhere you can find a spot. Shaun, Gary, and Laurie will be setup near each other near the front parking area on the right hand side.

Directions to Grassy Creek from Little Switzerland

Hope to see you guys there and anyone who goes please bring a camera to take pictures. Please email pictures to Kathy or Shaun and have a great time! Shaun's cell phone number is  336-406-5797.

Shaun Shelton   --

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Crabtree Emerald Mine and Grassy Creek
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Y'all have a Great Day!  Smiley
Wish I could join you!
Thanks for posting the invitation, Shaun, and I hope to see
lots of pictures! Wink