Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Question about polish and removing it. (Read 909 times)
R.Thomas
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Question about polish and removing it.
Jul 31st, 2014 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Some time ago, I made a post talking about wanting to be a gemologist, taking classes with ISG, owning my own raw gem store, etc. I'm not much further along at this point, I'm still paying student loans on my English major, life stuff happened, you know how it goes. Life stuff sometimes costs a lot of money. Anyway, I've been studying stuff on my own. Basically, I've gone to lapidary auctions and have been collecting the pieces that don't sell. You wouldn't believe the quartz, smokey quartz, amethyst, and agates I've collected just because they were advertised wrong, pieces I could never have purchased on my own. I even have a few star sapphires, all because of an auction that should have read "Lapidary auction with a few misc cars and tractors" was advertised as "tractor and automotive sale with a few rocks in the basement." I guess tractor guys and gem guys aren't always one in the same.

Anyway, I've always been more concerned with identifying what I have over polishing them. In addition, most of my gems and minerals have either already been polished or don't need it. However, I now have a lot of slabs of things like Tiger's eye, jasper,agate, and silver lace onyx that have been sanded but not polished. While washing them off, I've discovered these minerals take on a whole new level of beauty when wet, and that has peaked my interest in polish. However, I know nothing about rock tumblers. In my mind's eye, in addition to a few of the pictures I've seen, rock tumblers resemble little washing machines, and some of these specimen don't look like they could survive being tumbled and jostled around, plus some of these tumblers are expensive. So, I've looked at how to polish gems without a tumbler. I'm good on the concept of sanding, starting from rough sandpaper and slowly transitioning to smooth. After all, I'm a farm boy and my father restored old tractors for a living, I dang near have a Masters in sanding. But here's the part I don't get: in all of these instructions, they tell me how to apply polish. I got that aspect too. Once again, farm boy who restored tractors; if sanding is my major, paints and polish are my minor. However, they never once say what type of polish to use. So that's the first main question: does anyone know what types of polish to use?

Now, here's the second part, which breaks my heart a little. I'm ecstatic because I now have an absolutely enormous collection from an estate auction. This man, God rest his soul, liked to take beautiful pieces of agate and Turritella and turn them into the hokiest nicknacks you've ever seen. Turritella got carved into little deer, Tiger's eye got turned into gingerbread men, he turned some of the coolest red and grey agates I've ever seen (with little geodes in the center) into ponds that he'd glue little hokey cattails that he made out of weeds around the edges. Now, I know they say "to each their own", but come on , man. You do that crap with wicker and plastic and crap, nature has already transformed these minerals into designs far more beautiful than anything we could ever create; they don't need help. The good news is he never got to more than a quarter of his collection. He did pencil some bizarre patterns on everything, but never carved them. The bad news (beyond the obvious fact that the man died) is he managed to slap something that looks like floor wax over everything and they look horrible; flakes, trapped dirt, and air bubbles all over it. It looks like the time I was drinking in the Navy and got the ever-so-brilliant idea of coating the toes of my shoes with floor wax instead of polishing them like I should with shoe polish. So, I obviously want to take this floor wax stuff off my minerals, some don't look like they can stand much sanding, and I don't want to bleach or harm the minerals, especially the silver lace and the Tiger's eye (poor buggers). The question for this last paragraph is: do you think mineral spirits will do the trick of removing all this wax junk off my minerals? 

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Question about polish and removing it.
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Hey R, Good to hear from you again. Smiley
I'd say you were on the right track with checking those old estate auctions.
You never know what you might find. And if they even mention rocks or lapidary, Go!
You ought to try and make it to a big Rock or Gem and Mineral show
in your area sometime and you can see for yourself what folks are trying to
sell the different types of rocks for. See what the market is like.
Get a general idea of value.

I've been trying for some time now and I can tell you,
sanding or grinding, and then putting a polish on large flat surfaces
is about the hardest thing to do. I've got a couple of obsidian slabs
I've all ready put 5-6 hours on and they aren't near satisfactory.
I believe I am going to try a little hand-sanding, too. Tongue
I've got silicon carbide paper up to 600 but am going to have to go finer because it's obsidian.
600 might be fine for a lot of rocks.
Polishing is a whole nother art.
If you could make a 12" buffing wheel padded and topped with some soft leather
you'd be in business. Coat that leather with Cerium Oxide,
or Aluminum Oxide, or any of about a dozen other polishing compounds.
Cerium would be the best all round choice. And you can only use one type of compound
on the wheel or else it will be contaminated.

It may be easier, after a little sanding, to use some kindof coating or sealer.
Again, there are dozens to choose from, but I'm old fashioned and prefer to use
pastewax when possible. Paste wax can be removed with ammonia.
It may take several applications.
If it is not paste wax, you could try mineral spirits or MEK,
just be careful not to stain the stone and some rocks it may be better to leave alone.

I understand the mans' little carvings may look hokey, Wink,
but if you were to try and duplicate any of them you may develope
some more respect for his accomplishments. Smiley

Keep on huntin',
Joe

IP Logged

R.Thomas
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Thanks for the response, Joe, very informative. As far as the last part..... I appreciate the time and patience it took the man to fashion these little nicknacks. But what he did was take things like Turritetella, smooth them into little arms and legs, wire them together into a shape of a man, and glued a little wooden cartoon bubble to his head that said "Howdy , Partner!". I admire the time and patience, but in my eyes, it cheapens it into something you'd find at a five and dime. I don't think I'll ever get it. In my eyes (I hope I don't get in trouble for using the G word) minerals are an everlasting fingerprint of God. For such amazing colors and designs to come out of the dirt, gunk, and decomposing stuff, it seems to me to be a shame to put glitter and glue on them and wrap them in cheap wire. When my time in the sun comes, I'll be able to sand and polish gems and minerals, but I don't think I'll ever be able to carve them into figures. No, I take that back, I like the crystal and mineral skulls that I've seen on websites, I just don't think I'll be able to fashion "Howdy Partner" nicknacks.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Some of the polished stones in my estate sale purchase were also turned into hokey craft projects ("bugs" made by gluing plastic googly eyes and plastic legs onto a tumbled rock or cabachon, etc.).  At least the rockhound used the lesser quality material.  I wondered why in  the world ... until I saw a how-to article on said "bugs" in the pile of 1970s era Rock & Gem magazines that came with the estate, and reader photos of their similar crafty efforts.  Apparently when I was in high school and not paying attention to rockhounding, this was something of a fad.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint