Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pittsylvania Wayside (Read 16264 times)
Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Pittsylvania Wayside
Mar 19th, 2015 at 11:52am
Print Post  
March 15, 2015, was a welcome warm and sunny day in central Virginia after a stretch of wet and cold weather.  My son Sean and I took our Boykin spaniel Chip out to stretch his legs and get in some creek swimming at modest wayside park, about a 2.5 hours drive from Chester.  We stopped several times for the dog to romp along the way and got to our destination about noon, in time to eat a picnic lunch.  The wayside is a low-key, locally managed park.  Some people found beryl crystals in the creek.  With all the rain the creek was running high so we didn't do much exploring in the stream bed, and dang it, no beryl jumped out of the water into our hands! But the ground was fairly dry so we set out to find two feldspar prospects from the old mining days.  We found them, plus a bonus little quartzite quarry.  The general  location reportedly has a few collapsed barite mine shafts, too, but we ran out of daylight before we could get to those.  Here's a photo of someone else's beryl find from the locality.  What we saw wouldn't indicate a lot of beryl there, but by no means did we explore the entire park.  I'm not sure I'd go back solely to rockhound, but if in the vicinity it would be worth a side trip just to spend time soaking up the scenery.  Summertime after a stretch of drought would make exploring the creek gravels easier.

wayside_beryl.jpg ( 12 KB | 152 Downloads )
wayside_beryl.jpg

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Pittsylvania Wayside
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Sean strikes a frontier scout pose at the top of the little bluff where the first feldspar prospect was found.  The outcrop is massive feldspar and quartz riven with fissures, where slightly more crystal forms of feldspar, quartz and mica formed.  There is a decent spoils pile along the base, and a little adit where about 5 feet of rock was mined.  Sean explored the topside and said there was a lot of similar rock laying about there.

Sean_on_bluff.JPG ( 143 KB | 154 Downloads )
Sean_on_bluff.JPG
vein_pano.JPG ( 82 KB | 150 Downloads )
vein_pano.JPG
adit.JPG ( 149 KB | 121 Downloads )
adit.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Often but not always along the fissures were zones of more crystalized, blocky feldspar, quartz and mica.  The only other variety I found was a crusty patch that might have been garnet (I had to hold the camera way above my head to get the close up, so I didn't actually get to examine it closely).  At the base there was a little fissure with dark quartz.  Elsewhere the quartz was milky.  Except for some middling mica books, everything was sub-crystal form.

feldspar_mica_quartz.JPG ( 206 KB | 136 Downloads )
feldspar_mica_quartz.JPG
garnet_crust_maybe.JPG ( 178 KB | 131 Downloads )
garnet_crust_maybe.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
More of the same.

mica_spokes.JPG ( 196 KB | 123 Downloads )
mica_spokes.JPG
base_quartz_vein.JPG ( 114 KB | 109 Downloads )
base_quartz_vein.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
These wildflowers were in bloom throughout the wooded areas of the park.

wildflower.JPG ( 158 KB | 125 Downloads )
wildflower.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
At one point Sean said, hey, there's something back here and reached into a fissure near the little adit.  I thought he would pull out a cool rock, but instead it was this geocache.  Sean is a good finder, even when he's not looking for something!  He left his name and the date in the book and replaced it as he found it.  The fissure looks to have been enlarged and connects to the little tunnel.

geocache.JPG ( 216 KB | 132 Downloads )
geocache.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Next we poked around some river gravel but the gravel bars were mostly under a foot or so of water.  So we left the first creekside prospect and followed the rise above the little bluff.  Here's a photo of more mineralized looking clay and rock near where the second feldspar prospect should be.  The lay of the leaf-covered ground offered no clues as to where the prospect pit might be, and I wasn't going to start raking leaves.  So we moved on.

prospect_on_trail.JPG ( 135 KB | 142 Downloads )
prospect_on_trail.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Around a bend in the trail was an unexpected bonus, a little homestead quartzite quarry cut into the crest of a gentle rise.  The rock splits nicely in a variety of thickness.  A little ways further down the trail sits the ruins of a home place.  We took photos of each other goofing with the nearly tumbled down wall.  And here's Sean walking along the rock wall built from the quartzite.

quartzite.JPG ( 156 KB | 125 Downloads )
quartzite.JPG
goofing.JPG ( 174 KB | 123 Downloads )
goofing.JPG
rock_wall.JPG ( 160 KB | 129 Downloads )
rock_wall.JPG

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
All in all a great day.  I am still recovering from lingering croup after catching a nasty cold virus going around the Richmond area, so our pace was slow, but moving about in the dry air was good for clearing the crud out of my lungs.  Sean got to practice driving and was behind the wheel for most of the way out and back, so I had opportunity to rest in the car and save my energy for walking.  Chip got to run and swim to his little heart's content, and slept in the back seat most of the way home.

IP Logged

NCGrampa

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Great report and pictures.

2nd generation in my family to walk upright!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Excellent report and pictures Tim4d.  That pegamatite looks very promising.  I would be looking very closely where the mica and feldspar crystals become large, as that's where you'd expect to also find beryl.  I'm surprised you didn't find pockets where the quartz crystallized.  The reddish mineral you photographed is indeed garnet.  I enjoyed going along with you on this trip.  Well done.

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
We only took a few hand tools, rock hammer and small chisels.  If I had been at full health I might have walked back to the car to haul out the heavy artillery.  Even so, because of the local park setting I would feel unethical doing much more than casual digging, prying and surface collecting.  High up the bluff a few spots looked like a cannonball shaped mass had dropped out, and the hollow spot left behind showed a fractured mess of the larger, more crystaline feldspar.  I think if you could move a lot of rock (or nature did it with an earthquake or the last straw of weathering),  more of these could be uncovered with a better chance of finding crystals -- if those were indeed once hollow.  The rock in and around the vertical fissures was pretty uniform no matter how wide  the crack, but yes if you chased those back, who knows?  Even in person it was difficult to trace out pegmatite boundaries.  Sort of a bland pegmatite, I suppose.  The folded band over the adit was interesting.  That void could have been a better section of pegmatite, but what old timers left is wall rock.  Opening the fissures would be heavy work in fractured but hard rock.  I raked through a good portion of the dump piles, and it was very uniform -- a mix of small chips of feldspar and quartz, with plenty of small mica flakes.
Even so, someone might find beryl tomorrow two inches deeper in the dumps or fissures, or in another outcrop down the creekside!  It has to get in the creek somehow.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
This is all I brought back. I'm getting picky about leaving the leaverite. Some mica, ho-hum quartz and quartz/mica melange. I didn't bother taking any feldspar because it is rather drab.

image_130.jpg ( 161 KB | 112 Downloads )
image_130.jpg

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Wow-beryl-beryl is good! It got me real excited - nice pic of a nice specimen.

and congrats to Sean on the geofind - that's almost as good as a rock!

Nice report with good pics, Cuz.  Thanks for the trip.

cheers,
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Hey Tim, somehow I completely missed this.
That does look like a great day! Great job on the report and pics!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint