Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic best mines in nc to visit? (Read 8883 times)
jgards86

RockHoundLounger

best mines in nc to visit?
May 12th, 2015 at 10:22am
Print Post  
For my birthday my girlfriend is taking me mining, where should I go? I would think hiddenite would be a good area, any thoughts/suggestions. Where did you have the most success. I'm looking to get into a vein, not buy bags of salted material Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: best mines in nc to visit?
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
There are very few "mines" open to the public.
Most have that are, have salted bags for you to sift.
You can try the Crabtree Emerald Mine, (just Google the name for info).
If this rockhounding was that easy everyone would be doing it! Wink

IP Logged

Rick Jacquot
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2015 at 10:24am
Print Post  
jgards86, we have three mines that we currently manage. The Crabtree mine can be accessed by visiting www.crabtreemine.com . We also manage the Mason Farm Staurolite mine in Brasstown and own a mine in Hiddenite. The Hiddenite mine is being worked by the owners currently, but we will be opening it to MAGMA club members soon for a three day dig. To visit the year round mines and learn of other places to dig, I suggest visiting our
site at www.americanrockhound.com

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2015 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Just to clarify MAGMA runs those sites, rockhound lounge is not associated with any mines. (most of us are members of MAGMA as Rockhound Lounge is not a club but a website for sharing ideas and stories related to rockhounding.) 

It is also worth adding the "Propst Farm" in Lincoln Co. and "The Burgin Mine" in Stanley Co.

The Propst Farm is searchable on google; it is an old corundum locality that may not be open much longer. 

The Burgin Mine is a quartz mine located in Norwood, the cost varies on the number of people but is $10-$25 per person.  There is zero shade so bring a beach umbrella or canopy to create your own. 

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2015 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
What about the Baldwin Place Farm plate druzy fee site?  I checked their web site http://www.thebaldwinplace.com/index.html and it appears they took down the quartz digging section.  Closed now?  Hope not.  I think there's some dig reports elsewhere on the RHL.

IP Logged

Peter
YaBB Newbies

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! A digging
we will go.

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Tim ... The owner there has closed the place for diggers for quite some time. Probably before you posted the question. I was able to get out 4 times. I have done a little trading with some but will not be looking to trade much as they do not seem to be allowing anyone in again at all. They are slicing it for jewelry and even trademarked or something like that.
Peter Falcone

IP Logged

Peter
YaBB Newbies

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! A digging
we will go.

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
UPDATE:
PROPST FARM IS OPEN
Ron, the son-in-law of the late Mrs. Propst, purchased some of the adjacent property to his... and today, April 1st was the first day of digging. You can dig in front of the first barn as they were allowing for 6 months before they closed. Also, you can dig behind the barn in the grassy area. The back was very productive as well today. I will get full updates and info posted on the Propst facebook page by the end of the weekend and suspect info will make it's way to the propstfarm.com page for everyone.

Burgins Farm - Mr. Burgins past away not long ago and my understanding is that no one is giong in anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Great to know Propst is open again!  Thanks for letting us know Peter!

Yes, Burgin is closed.  I personally talked to the son and he said there will be no more digging there.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint