Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic intro of a newbie (Read 793 times)
Ann
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

intro of a newbie
Jun 8th, 2015 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Hi from Fredericksburg!
I am originally from the Eastern Shore of Va. but have lived in the Fred. area for many years.  Found shells of course on the barrier islands but also crab fossils and 2 fossilized whale jaws.  This started my love of rocks and fossils.  I'm more of a rock person than a mineral lover but if I had to pick minerals I like it'd be chrysoprase, malachite, and jasper.  I love the sandstones out west and I love the ocean worn granites of New England.  I love geology, in particular, layered and folded rocks.  I just enjoy looking for interesting and cool rocks, esp. those worn by water. Photography and bicycling are hobbies of mine and I'm in the beginning stages of kayaking.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: intro of a newbie
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the Board, Ann. Thanks for saying Hello!
We love pictures of layered and folded rocks! Smiley
Best of Luck,
Joe

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Welcome Ann.  My education in geology was definitely a huge catalyst in creating my love of rocks and minerals.  The folding and layering of rocks lets us directly see the story and history of the earth.  Glad you found the RHL and hope to see some of your finds soon!   Grin

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Welcome from central Virginia (Chester).  You are right near or in the Virginia gold belt depending on where in/around Fredericksburg you live.  There are a few gold panning groups that have leases or arrangements to go on private land.  If interested, this one might be best for your area: http://www.cvgp.net/
I believe RHL member "Brian" participates with the cvgp.
There are a number of "classic" Virginia fossil locations easily identified via Google, some accessible via beachcombing the major rivers.  But don't forget exploring the smaller rivers and streams that cut through the same fossil-bearing formations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint